Macbook digital output?

Reaction score
On apples spec page it list the macbok as having a combined headphone output as well as digital output.

Now as far as I can tell I'm using an 1/8 connection of the audio out of the macbook to a set of labtop speakers ( rca).

Now if it's true tha this same output of te macbok is a true digital connection how is it that I can acheive this?

Obviously it's not using optical, maybe mini coax?

Someone who knows about audio & this issue please help me out

, peace

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
That is as uncommon as you my think. I have a minidisc recorder/player it also combines the same line-in for analog and optical. Some more modern minidiscs combine analog/optical outputs as well. I have seen speaker systems and amplifiers do the same.

The cable should look a like this one (compared to a standard analog 1/8, optical on top)...

IMGP1763.jpg

I'll try to get a better picture(s) later but this one should give you the idea, i don't know the exact name, but the cable is fairly common.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
To use the digital output you need an optical audio cable and a receiver or hifi system with digital audio inputs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(W) 2Gb, 2Ghz & Bluetooth Mighty Mouse, Now my Apple glows colours, Red Apple and Green Leaf.
That is as uncommon as you my think. I have a minidisc recorder/player it also combines the same line-in for analog and optical. Some more modern minidiscs combine analog/optical outputs as well. I have seen speaker systems and amplifiers do the same.

The cable should look a like this one (compared to a standard analog 1/8, optical on top)...

IMGP1763.jpg

I'll try to get a better picture(s) later but this one should give you the idea, i don't know the exact name, but the cable is fairly common.

as above, even if you go to the stores and by a TOS link cable you sometimes get the 3.5mm adapter for the end. As most hi-fi's and AV equipment have the square TOS link connectors.

Reaction score
I have used an optical cable and adapter to an external DAC - the former is likely to be the better option.

OP
T
Reaction score

IMGP1763.jpg

Thank you, exactly what I needed to kno as most people do not know that the macbook actually has a digital out.

My only mission now is to find this cable.

, peace

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BlackBook 2.16Ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD | 1.58Ghz Mac mini G4 1GB RAM, 200GB firewire HD
Did anyone ever find a way to get an optical cable that hooks into a standard optical or coax receiver input? I'd sure like to hook my macbook up to my receiver with digital sound!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.