strange behaviour from my powerbook

G

goodVSbad

I've noticed some odd behaviour from my two-month old powerbook today; Mozilla froze it up and I couldn't even force a quit.
A couple of other programs were a little sketchy too...
I don't have any system maintenance programs or anything like that -- should I maybe get one??
Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :confused:

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Do you have AirPort? Did you install 3.4? That has been causing issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
goodVSbad said:
I've noticed some odd behaviour from my two-month old powerbook today; Mozilla froze it up and I couldn't even force a quit.
A couple of other programs were a little sketchy too...
I don't have any system maintenance programs or anything like that -- should I maybe get one??
Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :confused:
Have you deleted history cache and cookies lately? Also system maintenance: Use Mac Janitor (easy way) or fun :p way: Finder, Applications. Utilities Terminal type (switching to root - superuser) sudo sh /etc/daily > this needs to be done /weekly (instead of daily) and monthly. again with all apps closed Also might try repair permissions. After every software update, and about every 2 weeks: close all apps and log totally off. Log on, go in Finder, Applications. Utilities, Disk Utility. After the message -getting disk information- select volume (below the hard drive name -upper left corner). Just highlight it. Now look to the lower two things are there near the middle, verify permissions, repair permissions. Click repair permissions :)

OP
G

goodVSbad

witeshark said:
Have you deleted history cache and cookies lately? Also system maintenance: Use Mac Janitor (easy way) or fun :p way: Finder, Applications. Utilities Terminal type (switching to root - superuser) sudo sh /etc/daily > this needs to be done /weekly (instead of daily) and monthly. again with all apps closed Also might try repair permissions. After every software update, and about every 2 weeks: close all apps and log totally off. Log on, go in Finder, Applications. Utilities, Disk Utility. After the message -getting disk information- select volume (below the hard drive name -upper left corner). Just highlight it. Now look to the lower two things are there near the middle, verify permissions, repair permissions. Click repair permissions :)

wow, thanks for the advice! i will try it out tonight!

OP
T

TylerMoney

also, what version of panther, if you're running panther, are you running?...before 10.3.3, there were a few issues at times with connecting to networks....and it would cause things to freeze up..not that that has anything to do with mozilla, but maybe you were connected to a network at home or work at the time?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.