External PS2 Keyboard

Reaction score
Hey all,

I currently using a Powerbook G4 and have it connected to a external monitor with a USB mouse attached. I am trying to get my Compaq (PC) PS2 keyboard to work on my Powerbook. I have purchased a PS2 to USB converter but I cant seem to get it working. Do Mac's only work with specific Apple keyboards? Or can a PC keyboard be used?

Thanks in advance..

Reaction score
you can definitely use a normal PC keyboard, but I guess it has to have USB. Seems like it doesn't like a converter.

Works for sure if you have e.g. a windows keyboard with USB. But I find them anoying, because apple and windows keys are interchanged and I am so used to have the apple key next to the space bar

OP
dirtbike
Reaction score
I also thought it was strange that it was not working. Must be the adapter. Guess I will have to get a USB keyboard after all! GRRR! I like the genuine Apple keyboards but they are pretty expensive here.

The strange part is when I plug the keyboard in through the USB adapter the lights come on the keyboard for a second and then go off again. So it is getting power, but the keyboard is dead.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.