iMac Screen size question...

Reaction score
Ok... found some other threads that were similar but nothing that offered the specific answer I'm looking for...

I'm getting rid of my G4 iBook and getting a new Intel-based iMac. I have enough in my budget to buy either the 20 or 24 inch.

My interests lie in the digital photograpy/web programming/web design areas. I know in all these disciplines screen size is a valuable asset, as you commonly have more than one window open at a time. My predicament: If I buy the 20 inch, I can purchase my dSLR right away and start my foray into photography. (Which I'm very anxious to do) However, I don't want to be editing web pages and photos six months down the road and cursing myself for going with the smaller screen.

Is there anyone on here who does these sorts of things that uses an iMac? If so, what screen size do you have, and is it adequate for your needs? Are there any other suggestions you could give me as far as what hardware or software to purchase?

Lastly: I know the Mac Pro is better for these sorts of things, but I just don't have enough money, so it's out of the question.

The software I'm considering:

Aperture
CS3 Web Premium
etc,etc.

*edit:* oh yeah, and i'm most likely buying a canon eos 30d. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
We use 20" iMacs at work and they're fine for professional work. I used to use a 21" CRT, but the 20" is more useable because of the widescreen.

20" is fine, 24" a bit of a luxury.

And the 30" cinema display is just mad!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
I'm very happy with my iMac. And I do the same kind of work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Buy the 20" and your camera now.

When/if you start feeling cramped for space, buy a second monitor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Buy the 20" and your camera now.
When/if you start feeling cramped for space, buy a second monitor.

2- 20" monitors would kill. Get the 20" inch and the 30D and get the second monitor (if needed) in the future.
I have had no problems using CS2 or dreamweaver with the 20". The widescreen kills!!!!
Bryan

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for their advice! Since the 20 inch seems to be the unanimous choice, I guess I'll be going with that one. Thanks again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
And upgrade to the 5D!
I think we sell the refurbed for $1600 or something at work. I don't believe its a ton more than the 30D and you get the full frame chip and the 1:1 ratio like film cameras and not the 1.5x ratio you get with typical DSLRs.
Bryan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1.8GHz C2D iSight 1GB RAM 160GB HDD
I prefer my 17" because..

I hate massive massive screens
and theyre really bulky...

You need space for a 20inch plus..

OP
T
Reaction score
And upgrade to the 5D!
I think we sell the refurbed for $1600 or something at work. I don't believe its a ton more than the 30D and you get the full frame chip and the 1:1 ratio like film cameras and not the 1.5x ratio you get with typical DSLRs.
Bryan

Yeah, I looked at the 5D, and holy crap; the cheapest I've been able to find it has been around $3k. I like the 30d because it's simple (and cheap) enough for me to use it (being that I'm a beginner and all) but it's professional enough that I won't need to be upgrading right away.

Oh yeah...

Picked up my iMac yesterday. The 24 inch was huge! Went with the 20 instead, and it's still enormous. Thanks again, everyone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
1. i have a 17" and love it - couldnt afford the 20 inch but 17 inch is big enough - when it is sat beside the 20 and 24 inch in the apple store it looks tiny but is quite big.

2. search - this has been asked loads before.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
I have the 17" monitor and am more than happy with it. That said, I have nothing against the 20" - so by all means, get it. 24" could be a little bit over the top, especially for the price difference. If I were you, I would get the 20" and the camera and start ASAP. If you really feel the need for a bigger screen, buy a second monitor. But I'd say you probably won't...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.
24 inch is huge, you have to sit further away from it or move your eyes/head more. The resolution is higher than the 20 inch, so it can be harder on the eyes (smaller text due to some fonts not being configurable in OSX). I found it a strain on the eyes (combined with the brightness).

I think 22 inch is the right balance. I have settled on the new Samsung 22 inch for use with my Mac Pro.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.