Is my power supply dead??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Quicksilver 800 MHz OS 10.4.x
I know there are a lot of topics covering dead power supplies, but here goes my case....

I run Pro Tools on my mac (G4 quicksilver) through a USB powered MBOX and with two firewire 400 drives chained together. At some point it started giving me errors every time I tried to record or playback, saying it couldn't get info from the drive fast enough.

At the same time, I was having issues with intermittently losing power to my USB-powered devices like my mouse, keyboard, and Ipod. All cabling good, ran everything right off the hard drive slots to test. Also, problems playing back audio - not through pro tools itself, but itunes, or DVDs, any sounds through the pro-tools USB audio interface. The audio and video playback would be choppy and hang-up/skip a lot. if I quit the interface program and just played audio through the built-in audio, all is fine.

I suspected that my USB was dying so I bought a new belkin USB 2.0 PCI card. But when I installed this, the panic screen came up and said to restart immediately. When I did, I had lost my firewire drives (wouldn't mount on the desktop.) I restarted, reset PRAM, unplugged everything, plugged back in - everything any forum suggested. When i plug them in, you can hear the drives start whirring, but they never show up on desktop or in system profiler. I went so far as to buy a new Firewire PCI card to see if the original ports were dead - nothing still.

Days later, was on the mac when everything froze with the beach ball of death. Restarted and get a question mark most of the time. If I leave it off for a day and turn it back on, I'll have functionality for 10 minutes before the freeze cycle happens all over again. There is also a high pitched electronic zap noise/beep that occurs.

So, is my power supply dying and causing all these failures??? that's my guess.

Sorry this is so long; wanted to give the forum a shot & tried to be as specific as possible. Hopefully anyone with similar problems might learn something from my problems as well!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.