Clicking with the Mighty

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20, Intel Dual Core 2.3GHz, 1Gb RAM, 256Mb Video; G4 tower 444Mhz w/ 1G RAM, 2x G3 towers
just got a iMac 20, and this is my first experience with the Mighty mouse. Is there any way to hold one side and click the other side? I love the mouse, but for those times that i escape to BootCamp for some games, the mouse isn't cutting it when i need totally indpendent clicking for the buttons. so far i've got either the left or the right, but never both...

any ideas? (aside from another mouse?)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
Unfortunately, the answer is pretty much "another mouse". You can't click left and right at the same time with the mighty mouse, because in general OS X doesn't need you to. It's only really gaming that needs that, and it wasn't designed as a gamers mouse.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Agreed. The MM is not set up to click both at the same time as it's never needed in OSX.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
This brings up a good point. I'm going to be getting a Macbook, and I was planning on getting a mouse to go with it. I had planned on getting a 'Apple' mouse, but would I better off getting a Mac-compatible USB/bluetooth mouse from Logitech (my preferred mouse supplier on my PC)?

I'm in a similar situation where I'll probably be using Boot Camp for some gaming, but I don't know anything about Apple hardware. I'm assuming that any mouse would be fine in OS X?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
This brings up a good point. I'm going to be getting a Macbook, and I was planning on getting a mouse to go with it. I had planned on getting a 'Apple' mouse, but would I better off getting a Mac-compatible USB/bluetooth mouse from Logitech (my preferred mouse supplier on my PC)?

I'm in a similar situation where I'll probably be using Boot Camp for some gaming, but I don't know anything about Apple hardware. I'm assuming that any mouse would be fine in OS X?

I truthfully have never had to click both buttons in any games on XP that I have played over the years. I guess there is that option, but have never had to use it.

Any USB mouse will work on a Mac with OSX. So purchase what works for you.

OP
DaYCEnt
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20, Intel Dual Core 2.3GHz, 1Gb RAM, 256Mb Video; G4 tower 444Mhz w/ 1G RAM, 2x G3 towers
I truthfully have never had to click both buttons in any games on XP that I have played over the years. I guess there is that option, but have never had to use it.
I just started STALKER last night, (getting my hoo-hah's handed to me on a platter. i just don't like starting at the easy/simple/non-challenging difficulty. i like starting at mid-level...) and instead of going into a sites 'mode' on your weapon with one click, you click and hold the right to site in, then left click to fire.
i have played some FPS that had something like a secondary weapon, and while your unleashing all kinds of flaming death, you might want to lob a grenade in there without letting up on your current firing.

So... part 2 is which mouse do i choose?? i prefer cabled mice, but want something that'll work well with OSX, but i can get my game on with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
I would absolutely go with Logitech for a good mouse. They have a whole category of 'Gaming Mice' which arguably provide all sorts of features like no lag, high resolution, etc. I don't know how true all that is, but I always buy one just for the geek/cool factor when gaming with friends.

Logitech:
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/categories/US/EN,crid=2133,ad=hmf

Gaming Mice:
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/productlist/US/EN,crid=2463

I've had the same gaming mouse from Logitech for a while now and it's handled my beating/slamming/cursing quite easily (at the game/dying, not the mouse itself).

Reaction score
Agreed. The MM is not set up to click both at the same time as it's never needed in OSX.

Not completely true. I am using opera under MacOSX and in order to show the next or previous page you can use mouse gestures. To go back: Hold the right mouse button and click the left. So it can be needed in OSX - but doesn't work with the MM though... :blind:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
I use an wireless Logitech notebook mouse.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Another vote for Logitech.

OP
DaYCEnt
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Logitech it is! thanks all!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.