• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Video & External Hard Drive...

Reaction score
I've been working on a video project on my 120GB MBP... the problem is, the file for this movie is over 60GB thus far, and I still need to upload about 60GB MORE footage =/ This... will not fit, not matter what I delete!

Question:
If I get a firewire external hard drive, will I be able to edit the movies (in iMovie) while they are on the external?! Because, right now, with my USB HD, I cannot do this... the files must be on my computer to be used in iMovie.

So, I've heard this is what firewire external's are for, but is this correct?!

Also, what brand is recommended and which firewire port is suggested?

Thanks VERY much for any help, my MBP's poor little hard drive is forever in your debt.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
Try saving the iMovie Project file to the external Drive as well. Shouldn't matter if it's USB or Firewire.

when you import the clips to iMovie it stores them in the Project File, so the drive that the project file is on, should be where it reads from.

hope this helps, hope I'm right. I've been doing this lately, and seems to be working.

Brian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15",1.67 GHz, 2 GB memory OS X 10.4.10. iMac 21.5 3.06 Ghz
firewire external HD

I'm usng a Maxtor 300 GB firewire 800 and the files just fly!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.