Video & External Hard Drive...

Reaction score
I've been working on a video project on my 120GB MBP... the problem is, the file for this movie is over 60GB thus far, and I still need to upload about 60GB MORE footage =/ This... will not fit, not matter what I delete.

Question:
If I get a firewire external hard drive, will I be able to edit the movies (in iMovie) while they are on the external?! Because, right now, with my USB HD, I cannot do this... the files must be on my computer to be used in iMovie.

So, I've heard this is what firewire external's are for, but is this correct?!

Also, what brand is recommended and which firewire port is suggested?

Thanks VERY much for any help, my MBP's poor little hard drive is forever in your debt.

Reaction score
The only differences between a firewire and USB drive is the connection, and thus, speed. In theory, they will both work exactly the same way in relation to the computer.

Unfortunately, I have never tried transferring something from iMovie to an external HDD. The only thing I ever do is when using Final Cut Express, I create the project already on the external, so that everything is nicely organized there already, and takes no space on the main HDD, save the small bit saying where the recent files are.

Reaction score
I just created a file on my firewire drive while running iMovie. I don't have any vid-clips but I used digi-photos on that drive to create a slideshow and there weren't any problems. I can't see why you couldn't use video off that drive while running iMovie.

I really recommend using an external firewire drive especially if you're doing any music/video work. I run all Garageband/Logic/FinalCut off a firewire.

I'm using a Lacie drive and it hasn't given me any problems so far. If you stick with a well known brand you should be alright. Also get the fastest drive you can afford.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
And with an external drive or a medium that runs at a slower speed than your internal drive, you won't notice too much of a difference until you get to doing something that constantly accesses the drive.

For example, recording music as it's writing as you're recording, or recording video straight to the drive, or loading a program, or etc....

Reaction score
hi all, i dont know who is online right now. but i need some help wiht my videochat.mine is a mac book 10.4.6
who helps???

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.