G5 keeps crashing

F

futerfas

My new G5 keeps crashing. When i look at the logs, i get this "PMU FORCED SHUTDOWN, CAUSE = -122" I seem to have this problem in there more then once. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
First thing to try is repair permissions. After every software update, and about every 2 weeks: close all apps and log totally off. Log on, go in Finder, Applications. Utilities, Disk Utility. After the message -getting disk information- select volume (below the hard drive name -upper left corner). Just highlight it. Now look to the lower two things are there near the middle, verify permissions, repair permissions. Click repair permissions

OP
F

futerfas

I've tried that many times. I also got this:
"Dec 31 16:00:03 localhost kernel: ApplePMU::pMU FORCED SHUTDOWN, CAUSE = -122
Dec 31 16:00:03 localhost kernel: ApplePMU::CLOCK RESET! PMU WAS PROBABLY RESET SOMEHOW!!"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Boot into single user Boot - hold command S and in the terminal you are then in type /sbin/fsck -fy and repeat until ********FILE SYSTEM CHANGED***** does not show It's alos possible the back up battery is dead

OP
T

TylerMoney

it could be a ram problem...you might have gotten bad ram..not neccesarily the memmory chip being bad, but that it won't work right in a mac...for the mac doesn't like it....it only likes really good, specific memmory.

OP
W

WilliS

definately a power issue... i just dont know how to go about resetting apple's power management unit... um.. im clueless sorry... but try typing in your error on google and see what is said about it... ive seen a lot of talk about the -96 error on the xserves... and powerbooks... so maybe they will have a fix to the problem

btw, repairing permissions has never helped me... certainly not the solution to everything ;)

infact... ive never once repaired permissions on my ibook for 3 years now... put that in your pipe and smoke it! ;) ;) :D

OP
F

futerfas

Called apple, that error message ment there was a HFS error and we fixed it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I'd like to know how for future reference cause an error in the Hierarchical File System may be a big deal!

OP
E

elreiu

Pmu Forced Shutdown Cause = -122

futerfas said:
Called apple, that error message ment there was a HFS error and we fixed it.

Hello Futerfas,

I'm having the same problem (PMU FORCED SHUTDOWN CAUSE = -122).

Please, could you tell some details about HOW you fixed the HFS-Problem?

You would help not only me but a lot of people because there are many who have this problem. I've been searching the www for hours and have tried different things like resetting the PMU - nothing helped. Your solution - if it is really one - seems very interesting to me!

Thank you, elreiu.

Reaction score
I was having random shutdowns on my G5 dual 2.3, along with PMU forced shutdown -122 messages. After a couple of months of reading forum posts I stumbled upon a site
http://www.sharpeningbeneath.com/g5guide/
where I was able to clean my power supply unit, which it sorely needed, and have been running for 5 days without a random shutdown when I usually had 2 a day. I will continue to report on this success.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.