• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Popups, or even worse, spyware!!!!!!! aaaaa

K

klumick

is anyone else terrified of their apples being infected with crappy spyware and popups? ive been using safari lately and am noticing alot more popups, and they're not just ads from the site youre on, theyre the kind that are like, lose 20lbs now! i dont want one of my favorite features of apple computers to diminish. state your opinion, or if you have any ideas, software or news on the subject

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Open your Safari menu and 4 slots down is block pop ups - all set! ;)

OP
K

klumick

ive done that but i still get popups, im jstu worried about our beloved apples becoming infected with spyware and such.

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
I've been getting popups too with the popup blocker on. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
WOW that is amazing I haven't seen any at all. What sites do they appear in? And that oughta be reported to Apple! And on third thought see if repair permissions helps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Repair permissions?! That has nothing to do with the Internet! I did this afternoon too because I reinstalled and ****, nothing.
Apple technology is going to make me insane. I swear.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
It would help if the pop ups involve instructions or file use that supercedes some permissions level Another thought: delete history more often and empty cache and remove cookies (preferences)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
that is pretty strange..i have used safari since day 1 and have had no problems with popups or anything like that

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
no popups for me with safari

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
It opened a new window for me with another site But only the first time

OP
B

Bluewolf

I see pop-up windows

Absolute Zero said:
http://gamecubelounge.board.dk3.com/2/
Does anyone expiriance popups at that site or does Safari suck?

I see pop-ups :eek:

I clicked on the link and it opened in a new window. At first nothing happened so I thought I was in the clear, but a few moments later another window opened.

http://www.reed.co.uk/training/

And before people ask, yes I did have the Block Pop-Up Windows checked.

I'm scared too :eek:

(OSX 10.2)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
I had a page pop-up about 2-3 seconds after opening that page. Quite weird. Its the first time I have seen pop-up blocker fail. It even blocks yahoo launch video window, so this must be very weird.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hmm i let it sit and and it did open up a new window after a few seconds....my guess is they have something in their html to do an actual open new window instead of doing a standard javascript

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
trpnmonkey41 said:
hmm i let it sit and and it did open up a new window after a few seconds....my guess is they have something in their html to do an actual open new window instead of doing a standard javascript
So to get aroound block pop up they have embedded HTML hyperlinks that execute - so it techniaclly isn't an old school pop - up but still wrong I personally suggest sending hate e-mail to the site that opens :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think DK3 are just ******** like that... I'll talk with the kid who owns the site when he's... un-grounded. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Absolute Zero said:
I think DK3 are just ******** like that... I'll talk with the kid who owns the site when he's... un-grounded. :p
Awesome! I'm gonna follow this one! I sent it to Apple too :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
And again.. get Mozilla.. no problems on this end.. never have problems with Mozilla :) You can also specify what pages you don't mind getting popups from.. You have serious control with Mozilla.. go get it! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
Mozilla crashes more often than Safari, and Safari is a bit faster. But Mozilla opens many webpages that safari can't open. Like Natwest Online Banking.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.