Battery not seated?

U

umpf69

Hi I have just purchased an iBook from a retail store in the UK and excitedly opened the box. However the smooth lines of the iBook are not so smooth when it comes to the battery. The battery on the right hand edge is neat and fluch to the rest of the case but if you look along the front and towards where the lock is situated then the edge seems to come away from the case and be raised you could get your nail in the gap and if you run you hand on the underside then there is a definate difference between battery and case near the lock in hieght.:(

Is this normal? Am I looking for perfection that is too perfect? Does anyone understand what I mean?

Look forward to your thoughts

Umpf

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
Take a good look at the battery, is it warped slightly maybe? Was the iBook in sealed packaging or could the battery have been placed on a hot surface or something?

Or it could just be a one-off manufacturing flaw.

If the battery itself looks fine I would take the whole thing back and ask for a replacement and then check the replacement before you leave the store.

Where did you buy it btw? I bought my iMac from PC World because if it happens to fail on me within a year they can normally be persuaded to give an immediate replacement from the store. Some of the smaller retailers can't be bullied into doing this as they don't have as much spare stock but the downside is that PC World is not noted for its delicate handling of the stock prior to sale! (I also buy on a business basis though so I have a little more clout when it comes to arguing with the spotty teenagers they use as sales chimps ;))

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
On my iBook, the battery is not completely flush either, I think it's just the design. There is just a slight variance in the fit you can see on the front. If yours is very bad, it's probably worth exchnanging, but if it's just a slight fit issue, that's just how they are.

OP
S

Solaris

That was the 1st thing i noticed when i opened mine up yesterday. Main thing i have a problem with is the little rubber feet on the botton of the iBook the top left one isn't there for me 8(. U think if i called the apple store they would have one for me lol?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Actually most ibooks Ive seen have this slight cosmetic problem...

I wouldn't worry unless it's actually sticking out, rather than the edges don't match up exactly.

OP
B

bograt69

yeah, i've had the same problem with my iBook, i fixed it slightly by wedging a small biy of cardboard in the slot on the battery which locks it in if that makes sense!

not an ideal situation, but at least it looks a bit better than it did before

Mike

OP
V

VastDeathmaster

If you 'just' got it, and it is a local place, then go back and exchange it. Why worry If they will exchange it. It certainly isn't your fault.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.