• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

MOD file transfer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Hi all a newbie here, yeah I suppose my story is the same as most of you. I got sick & tired of my Windows PC hanging/freezing-up and needing hard shut-downs I just had enough so I got my-self a smart little macbook I'm still trying to get used to the way 'it just works' LOL!

Anyway, I have a canon Eviro? camcorder but it stores the image files as MOD files which the Mac doesn't seem to appreciate, I cant seem to find a MOD to JPEG converter?

Any ideas?

Thanks

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
well according to wikipedia...

MOD is also the file extension for the video file format used on many digital camcorders, such as the JVC Everio, and the Panasonic D-Snap SD-card camcorders. Typically, such files are actually MPEG-2 video files with a different extension.

have you tried just copying these files on to the mac and changing the extension from .mod to .mpg or .mpeg?

welcome to the forums!

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Hi eric
Yeah I have tried but my mac still doesn't like them?
I think I'll revisit the everio site and see if I can find something?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
copy the .mod file to your mac, change the extension to .mpeg, and open in mplayer, a free app you can download for your mac. Everything will work fine. If you want to keep the clip, change the .mpeg back to .mod, and then use another free app called MPEGStreamclip to change it to whatever file format you want. Also ffmpegX (not the same as ffmpeg) will convert this file (i think, but a little quirky at times).

Hope this helps,

Brian

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Brian/eric

I downloaded mplayer and changed it to be the default player and hey presto! I don't need to change the file extension either.
Top job!

Thanks everyone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
mpeg streamclip

just convert the format via mpeg streamclip. (http://www.squared5.com/)

i use that to convert my mod files to quicktime so i can use them with imovie and watch them on quicktime....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 13 MacBook Pro, 11" MacBook Air, 64G iPad, iPhone 4
Mac users should have a big wide smile where MOD files are concerned. No converters needed - which have dubious results. No renaming of file extensions which can lose the audio and change the aspect ratio.

Just plug the camera into the Mac and run iMovie. Select import from Camera and all the files are imported as MOV files with sound and the correct aspect ratio. Then edit with iMovie or Adobe Premiere.

No brainer!!

Reaction score
hello hello hello !!!

its really nice post......

i just loved it ....

thanks for posting such a nice post dude .......

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.