MacBook Pro memory upgrade

Reaction score
Hi

I'm studying graphic design in college, and I've had my PC for 4 years. I'm now thinking of buying a MacBook Pro 15": 2,16 GHz.
It comes with 1 GB RAM, I was thinking of buying it with an extra 1 GB RAM memory upgrade, so I'd have a 2 GB memory. It's because I use alot of heavy software simultaniously, like Illustrator, Photoshop, etc etc.

Should I indeed buy it with the 1 GB memory upgrade so it would come with 2 GB memory? What are the advantages? Does it make it faster?

Thanks

Charlotte

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
So, you're trying to decide between purchasing with 1 GB and upgrading to 2 GB yourself or buying with 2GB?

I bought mine with 1 GB and upgraded to 2 GB myself because it was cheaper, but buying with the upgrade gets you a faster processor and more video RAM. It sounds like you could use all that, so if you have the money, I'd get the upgraded MBP. I wouldn't get the upgrade to 3 GB. At $575, you can definitely buy cheaper in the aftermarket.

Apple does need to upgrade some of its components. The graphics card is very dated already.

Reaction score
Much cheaper to upgrade yourself. Order the memory at the same time as your purchase. Install the extra memory as soon as you receive it.

OP
C
Reaction score
Hi
I did think about buying the 15" one that already came with 2 GB at first, but I really can't afford it. In my country the 15" MacBook Pro with 1 GB costs 2731 dollars, whereas the 15" MacBook Pro with 2 GB and more video ram costs 3597 dollars. I really can't afford that and the apple store next to my house will sell me the extra 1 GB memory for only 219 dollars, so I guess it will be cheaper if I buy the extra memory, instead of the MBP that already comes with 2 GB

Reaction score
Just backing up what's already been said. I just purchased 2 GB for my macbook at $102 whereas Apple wants $350. I've heard nothing but good reviews for Newegg (which is where I bought my sticks as well). Cheers

OP
C
Reaction score
Hi
Thanks for the help, guys!

I'm very very very sorry if this is a stupid question (I don't know much about computers and/or laptops) but if I was to buy memory sticks from Newegg instead of my Apple Store, would it work on my MacBook Pro seeing as Newegg is an American site and my MacBook pro will be the european version. Are there differences with the computers? I'm asking this because as DVD regions are different, and battery plugs also I was wondering if there is any problem with installing american memory sticks in a european MacBook Pro?

OP
C
Reaction score
Also, I was over at Newegg and I'm kind of confused, could anyone help me out here? How many entries for memory sticks does the MacBook Pro come with? If I want the macbook pro to have 3 GB memory, the original one I buy will already come with 1 GB, so is it ok for me to buy a CORSAIR 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) and if I instal it will my MacBook Pro have 3 GB memory?

OP
C
Reaction score
I'm sorry for asking so many questions, but newegg doesn't ship internationally, do you know of any good sites to by memory that ship internationally?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, iPad 2 64, 2 x iPod Touch, MBA, 2 x iPhone 3g
It doesn't matter where your computer was bought or which language it's set to regarding the memory.

For most people, getting the extra memory either built-in or as a retrofit from Apple is tantamount to throwing money down the toilet.

Memory upgrade is dead simple, doesn't invalidate warranty - it's even in the manual.

Go for it. I bought 2 Gb ram sticks (two off) for a total of 50 GBP (about 70 USD).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.