Mac partition boot password protection?

Reaction score
I manage a large school network. We have recently purchased 12 iMac’s to setup a multimedia lab. I have used bootcamp to partition these drives, and I have designed and setup a windows XP image that I can restore to the windows partition on the Mac’s using an external LaCie Rugged drive and Net Restore – that’s all working perfectly.

Ive also managed to integrate the MAC OS into Active Directory.

Question 1: I have set the windows partition to be the default boot partition, and that’s running fine too. However the kids option boot into the MAC OS, and start messing with things. I want to put a boot level password on the MAC OS, so even if they do option boot, they still won’t be able to access the MAC partition without a password.

Question 2: I know this is the wrong section for this question, however I was wondering if anyone has the Windows driver for the mini DVI connector? At present I can’t push the signal to a projector when working in the XP partition.

Thanks in advance.
Jimmeh – IT Administrator.

OP
J
Reaction score
Come on guys, not one single suggestion?

Perhaps someone knows of some more technical mac forums, where I may get some answers?

Jimmeh.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
If you have more than one user account on your computer, or if you want to keep your own information secure, you should require users to log in using a password.

If you don't see a login window when you start up the computer, automatic login is enabled and you need to turn it off.

To turn off automatic login:
Open System Preferences and click Accounts.
If settings are dimmed, click the lock icon and type an administrator name and password.
Click Login Options and deselect "Automatically log in as."
Choose how you want the login window to appear.
"List of users" shows a list of user accounts and a box to type a password.

"Name and password" requires users to type a user name and password.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
there is a boot password loader on the mac osx cds!

i use it, albeit for a different purpose. what it does it, if you want to option boot, and select a different startup disc (beit cd, or internal/ext) use must enter the password the admin has selected. this is not the same password as the user account in osx!

i think this is exactly what you are looking for. its on the cd 1, in the utilities folder. something like firmware utility, or firmware password.

ill have to look inside osx, my vista doesnt seem to be reading the osx cd's

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
on the cd, in \applications\utils

called open firmware password.

wonderful little implementationnt

Reaction score
does anybody know if there is a way to password the whole laptop, to stop people from even booting into the machine?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.