Batteerrryyy Heeelllppp!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
Good eveniing all,

I am a bit worried here, I just got my Black MacBook on MOnday, life is good and am loving it. The battery was really good and after a full charge it would say 3:45 hrs remaing till empty, and then last nite (against my own gut feeling) I did what I saw all the over the forums, Calibrated the battery. I left till it was drained from power and went to sleep, then I left it over night to charge, and then BAM it started draining juice like crazy.

Went down from 100 to 88% in less than 15 minutes. thats too much to what it used to be previously.

Please tell me there is some kind of logical fixable thing behind this.

Hope to hear from you soon :bone:

OP
MinaMACMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think its even getting worse now. In just 2 miutes I lost 2%.

I know running wireless network drains the batteries but not like that. at this rate the battery will last only 1hr 40min. (figures its at 100% losing 2% every 2 minutes!!) that means 100 minutes?!

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyy????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
meh, i would either recalibrate it or talk to apple. my batter has 254 cycles and will start dying soon. i will then need a new battery out of my pocket at full price

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Batteries have no 100% accurate internal mechanism to report exactly how much charge they have. So, your Mac makes assumptions based on trends. As you use it and charge it, your PMU will learn more about the battery and you'll see the times change sporadically. I wouldn't worry about it. Through normal use and charging, it will balance out. The rate of consumption is not constant and will vary based on screen brightness, Bluetooth usage (turn it off if you're not using it) and the wi-fi components - not to mention your activities (taxing the CPU and hard drive varies the consumption).

Reaction score
mine lasts about 2 10 hours whilst having about 4 windows open on photoshop and listeneing to music is that ok or?
cheers in advance

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mine lasts about 2 10 hours whilst having about 4 windows open on photoshop and listeneing to music is that ok or?
cheers in advance

As I mentioned in the previous post, time remaining will vary constantly. Your utilization of the machine's resources is not static, so the rate of drainage will vary as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD
In the Finder Machelp, it says to "Calibrate the battery in your MacBook or MacBook Pro every month or two to keep your battery functioning at its fullest capacity." Could it be that you calibrated your battery too soon since your mac is still very new? What do the others think?

OP
MinaMACMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is a possibility that I did calibrate it too soon.

But now I am hearing about the Battery Upgraded software from Apple that supposedly "Boosts Power" and longivity of Battery. Also if Battery is defective they'll replace for free even if it out of waranty.

So I might give it a shot.

Cheers

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is a possibility that I did calibrate it too soon.

But now I am hearing about the Battery Upgraded software from Apple that supposedly "Boosts Power" and longivity of Battery. Also if Battery is defective they'll replace for free even if it out of waranty.

So I might give it a shot.

Cheers

Yep, and they mention that this software may correct the problem. Check it out: http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/batteryupdate12.html

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.