mini cd stuck in drive

Reaction score
THANK GOD FOR THIS THREAD.
I feel so stupid even thinking about putting in a mini cd, but i was desperate because my external hard disk stopped working and that was the cd it came with.

I tried shaking it but it didn't work.
The one that worked for me is getting a ruler and putting double sided tape on the bottom side of it, inserting it very close to the top of the cd slot, pressing down and simply pulling it out. With the mini cd stuck to the ruler. Took literally 3 seconds!

Reaction score
Really, the best thing to do is to shake your computer and see it come out. literally, i just had this problem 10 minutes ago. From seeing one of these posts, I tried it and it worked so I thought I should re-share this.

1. turn your computer on its side and keep shaking. you will see it ease its self out and start pulling! (thats what she said ;P)

Ellie ;P

Reaction score
try the christmas card?

the christmas card that your grandma sent you comes in handy. cut the card in half where it folds then insert the half card in the cd drive. the cd will eject automatically without holding any keys. it really works! someone post it ealier on using the battery card but its thick to insert but luv the idea. i tried all of these holding down the eject, mouse (left/right), ctrl+option+cmd+esc, f+o etc, inserting a letter opener, eject+tipping your mac sideways so cd comes out but nothing works except for the card.

Reaction score
mini-cd stuck in drive slot

yeah, i just looked at some posts about shaking it (powered down of course to not hurt the hard drive) and i'll be darned...it came right out. captain obvious just kicked me in the nads...:eek: thanks for the suggestions!

Reaction score
Hello...newbie to the forum here. The other day I received a mini CD with Corel Paint Pro 9 on it as a bonus to the purchase of a Compact Flash card. I inserted the disc into my DVD/CD drive. It didn't show up on my desktop, nor has it installed. Most importantly, the disc won't eject from the computer. I have tried shutting down and restarting...numerous times. All I hear is the whirring sound of the disc trying to eject.

My nearest Apple store is 3 hours away. Can someone help me?

Thanks,

Geoff
I had a truly stuck CD and software ejection techniques failed, since my computer wouldn't start up with the CD in the drive. It sounded as though it was continually trying to read it, and therefore wouldn't progress to startup. I read rumors of a physical eject button but despite probing, I couldn't locate it. THERE IS ONE I learned. It also failed in my case, however. I risked disassembly since this was a spare computer that had no important data on it. It is rather easy and non-technical to do. Please sees photos below. Start with power and cables disconnected.

(1) using a thin flathead screwdriver, gently pry between metal cover and white plastic from the back side of the computer. As a small space opens insert an additional, larger flathead and torque gently open just a bit more. Using the smaller screwdriver, work around the sides of the computer open the space gradually. Additional prying with the larger flathead will open the case. Notice the white plastic clips snap into the groove inside the cover all around the case except the back.

(2) with the cover removed, access the Superdrive mechanism by removing the 4 small (and very short) Phillips head screws. Gently pry open the cover only 1 inch, leaving the side with the cover-pressure sensor attached. One can then remove a stuck CD/DVD. The optical laser is seen in the upper left of the photo, residing in a groove which allows it to move from edge to edge of the disc. Gently clean the lens with a cotton swap dipped in rubbing alcohol (damp but not dripping). Remove any other debris if found, in the mechanism.

(3) reassemble, making certain to align the back (power and port side) carefully. It snaps into place easily, white clips into metal groove.

(4) note the small black inner eject button on the extreme right side of the CD slot is activated by the black rubber "button" on the exterior extreme right of the slot. In my case this was stuck and did not function.

(5) note the ? PHYSICAL EJECT LEVER inside the CD slot, about 1 inch left of the extreme right side of the CD slot which can be operated with a paper clip or section of coat hanger. It is 1-1.5 inches behind the slot opening. Wont let me upload video clip. 2 pics instead. I'm not truly certain this lever will cause ejection,or if its just a guide.
Case Opening.JPGCase Open.JPGCase Clips.jpgCover Groove.JPGCD Mechanism.JPGEject Button Inner.JPGEject Button Outer.JPGScreen Shot 2018-04-14 at 1.59.47 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-04-14 at 2.00.09 PM.png Case Opening.JPG

Reaction score
How to remove stuck CD/DVD from MacMini

Hello...newbie to the forum here. The other day I received a mini CD with Corel Paint Pro 9 on it as a bonus to the purchase of a Compact Flash card. I inserted the disc into my DVD/CD drive. It didn't show up on my desktop, nor has it installed. Most importantly, the disc won't eject from the computer. I have tried shutting down and restarting...numerous times. All I hear is the whirring sound of the disc trying to eject.

My nearest Apple store is 3 hours away. Can someone help me?

Thanks,

Geoff

I had a truly stuck CD and software ejection techniques failed, since my computer wouldn't start up with the CD in the drive. It sounded as though it was continually trying to read it, and therefore wouldn't progress to startup. I read rumors of a physical eject button but despite probing, I couldn't locate it. THERE IS ONE I learned. It also failed in my case, however. I risked disassembly since this was a spare computer that had no important data on it. It is rather easy and non-technical to do. Please sees photos below. Start with power and cables disconnected.

(1) using a thin flathead screwdriver, gently pry between metal cover and white plastic from the back side of the computer. As a small space opens insert an additional, larger flathead and torque gently open just a bit more. Using the smaller screwdriver, work around the sides of the computer open the space gradually. Additional prying with the larger flathead will open the case. Notice the white plastic clips snap into the groove inside the cover all around the case except the back.

(2) with the cover removed, access the Superdrive mechanism by removing the 4 small (and very short) Phillips head screws. Gently pry open the cover only 1 inch, leaving the side with the cover-pressure sensor attached. One can then remove a stuck CD/DVD. The optical laser is seen in the upper left of the photo, residing in a groove which allows it to move from edge to edge of the disc. Gently clean the lens with a cotton swap dipped in rubbing alcohol (damp but not dripping). Remove any other debris if found, in the mechanism.

(3) reassemble, making certain to align the back (power and port side) carefully. It snaps into place easily, white clips into metal groove.

(4) note the small black inner eject button on the extreme right side of the CD slot is activated by the black rubber "button" on the exterior extreme right of the slot. In my case this was stuck and did not function.

(5) note the ? PHYSICAL EJECT LEVER inside the CD slot, about 1 inch left of the extreme right side of the CD slot which can be operated with a paper clip or section of coat hanger. It is 1-1.5 inches behind the slot opening. Wont let me upload video clip. 2 pics instead. I'm not truly certain this lever will cause ejection,or if its just a guide.
Case Opening.JPGCase Open.JPGCase Clips.jpgCover Groove.JPGCD Mechanism.JPGEject Button Inner.JPGEject Button Outer.JPGScreen Shot 2018-04-14 at 1.59.47 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-04-14 at 2.00.09 PM.png Case Opening.JPG Case Open.JPG CD Mechanism.JPG

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I had a truly stuck CD and software ejection techniques failed

Hopefully someone may be able to use your info but in case you didn't notice, you're posting to a six year old thread.

Just saying… and welcome as a new member.

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.