G4 733 and DVD-RW

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 733 (upgrading)
I just joined and already I saw some great recommendations for upgrading the processor and and video card for my Quicksilver G4, thanks!

Now I'm looking into upgrading the factory CD-RW drive to a combo drive, preferably one that writes to dual-layer DVDs as well.

Any recommendations? Or at least, where are the best places to look for drives that will work with the G4?

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, paulyboy! I second SpindleX's suggestion of OWC, I've dealt with them in the past and they're great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz
I usually just go to newegg.com and order any old DVD-RW drive. I prefer Lite-On, and haven't bought a drive yet that wouldn't work in a Mac, even though they don't mention anything about Mac compatibility in the specifications.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Any old DVD-RW should work. I put a Sony DVD into a G4 PowerMac to install Tiger and it worked fine.

OP
paulyboy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 733 (upgrading)
Thanks for the suggestions! It's all part of a master plan to upgrade my G4 to see how cheaply I can do it and still have a rockin' tower. Thanks again!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.