G5 and upgrading memory

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
powermacG5 2.3ghz 2gig ram running logicpro7
Hi

i have a G5 powermac 2.3 i bought it new early 2006 and bought 2 gigs of ram at the time. 2 x 1 Gb

Right i use logic pro 7 and ableton alot and have noticed lately thats its slowing done alot.

would adding another 2 gigs of ram improve the performance of these apps?

If so i have another question which ram do i buy?

this is what is in now x 2
Size: 1 GB
Type: DDR2 SDRAM
Speed: PC2-4200U-444

know when i go on crucial.com what is ECC and how can i tell what is in my mac now so i buy the same as all i can find is the info above on the ram thats installed

here is a link to what i am thinking of buying

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listparts.aspx?model=Power+Mac+G5+(Dual+2.3GHz+DDR2)

i will be buying the 2 x 1GB would that be right?

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Before making the leap, you should go out and get yourself something like MenuMeters or iStatPro or any of a number of utilities that will allow you to monitor memory usage. Memory may not be the problem - something else may be slowing down your Mac. I have 2.5 GB of RAM in mine and I can see that I have never come close to using it all up, despite heavy use of Photoshop, along with the usual stuff I have running (Safari, Thunderbird, iTunes and about 20 widgets). Really, 2 GB ought to be plenty. I would advise a little research before taking this step.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.