delete a picture form iPhoto album

Reaction score
Hello,

have a question about how to delete a photo from the iPhoto album ?

I understand an Album being as a filter to the iPhoto library, so when I try to delete/move to trash a photo from an album it just removes it from that album and not from the librabry. This way when you go back to the library the photo is still there and all the photos I was pretending to destroy are still there and everything is messedup, because there is no album/filter to which they belong and the only way to find them is by hand which is not fun at all.

How to remove the photo completely while surfing an album ?
or is there an option somere to that besides the right-click and "Remove From Album" ?

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
If you go the library pane just highlight the photo and Backspace. That should trash it. If you delete from the album you just do that delete from the album..
You can also right click and choose move to trash

OP
N
Reaction score
thanks, but this is what I know also,
and when I have more than a 1000 of photos is quite a pain to find and highlight the photo and then hit backspace.

I was hoping for a way to move it to trash right from the album.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
You can do this. (It's just an idea)
There is an Applescript. If you haven't enabled scripts you can do so by going to your applications folder go to the applescripts folder. Double-click the icon called Applescript utility. In the dialog box turn on Show script menu in menu bar. Quit Applescript utility.

If you now click on the script icon you get a drop down menu at the bottom you will see iPhoto scripts folder if you mouse over the folder you should find a script called DELETE ALBUM AND CONTENTS

BE warned when you run this script you are presented with a dialog box listing your albums. Select the album you want to delete. Iphoto will ask if you want to delete the album and photos . When you press enter they move to the trash. When you empty it they are gone also from the master library...BE CAREFUL.!!!!

Why this script ? I thought you could make a album called dump and dump the photos you don't like there and then trash that.... Ok it's a little work....

OP
N
Reaction score
hmm... very nice, not a problem that takes a little work to do. once selttled should work in the feature. thanks.

but probably it would be easier and normal to have as an option in iPhoto just to destroy a photo(or selected photos) from an album without to invent tricks.
will write a feedback to apple realated to this, hope to see this fixed in next system update, because it must easy to add a menu item when right click on some selceted photos in an album.

thanks for help

OP
N
Reaction score
hi, another question:

I did what you said, but there was no "iPhoto scripts" folder with no "DELETE ALBUM AND CONTENTS".

I made the iPhoto to be the active app and in the scripts system menu there was an option "Open iPhoto scripts folder", doing that I saw that it is empty and there are no scripts at all.

where do I get the scripts ? are they something standard or I have to be searching for them on internet ?

OP
N
Reaction score
ok, doesn't mater :)

sometimes it's good to read the help that comes with the app.
so here is the copy/paste for others like me:

To remove photos:
Select the album.
Select the photos you want to remove. (See Related Topics, below.)
Do one of the following:
To remove a photo from a regular album, press the Delete key. (This removes the photo only from that album, not other albums or your library.)

To move a photo from a regular album or Smart Album to the Trash, press Command-Option-Delete. (This also removes the photo from the library and from every album, slideshow, and book where it appears.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well done case closed I think

Sorry to lead you up the Garden path as it were .. Of course the iPhoto scripts aren't there . I forgot I downloaded them from here
http://www.apple.com/applescript/iphoto/

Once again sorry for the confusion It was sometime ago I did it . I just forgot they were not there to begin with....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.