12" Powerbook-headphone jack loose

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" PB G4
If there is any pressure exerted in the slightest on the headphone jack, the sound is channeled to the speakers. An internal connector must be bent or something...
Is there any way I can get inside and bent it back to shape, or replace it entirely?
I'm good with a soldering iron, so I can solder if needed.

Thanks!

Reaction score
I also have a 12" Powerbook and have a similar problem with the sound only coming through on one speaker. There must be a problem with the jack on these models.. Problem when I want to play music through my stereo.
I would like to get it fixed... Anybody?

Reaction score
i have the same computer and the same problem. I would recommend against trying to solder it because once I had a portable CD player with the same problem and i figured i could go in there and take care of business, and i ended up ruining it. But then again, maybe you guys got skills.

Reaction score
I am going to try a warrenty claim, mine Powerbook is still under a year!

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" PB G4
Mine's way over a year...
Any other ideas? Any way to reform the jack without unscrewing the whole thing?
While we're at it, what's the hex size for the case screws?

Reaction score
Is there anyway of contacting apple and letting them know about the problem? Surely they can do a recall and fix the faulty ones...

Reaction score
I feel/felt like such a fool. I always thought that my headphone jack was faulty and only playing through one speaker, so today I finaly got out to the Mac dealer. The guy that helped me booted up my machine and checked the sound properties. And there it was... BALANCE! The bar was all the way to the left! 3 months later it has been fixed!! The guy told me that sometimes for some reason the bar slides across to the left and that I am not the first person to come in with the problem. Maybe just trying to make me feel better. I never even knew you had a balance setting on a Mac. I felt like such a dork! Ha ha.. Problem solved!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.