Pointer Acceleration

R

Rusyn

Does anyone know of an alternative driver that kills OS X's pointer acceleration AND is compatible with Logitech's Mx 700? I am getting serious carpal tunnel syndrome here....

OP
W

Wapa18

what about the mouseworks software? that should have come with your mouse if you bought it new.

OP
R

Rusyn

Mouseworks is for Kensington... And the Logitech sofware has no controls for acceleration.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
I hate the acceleration on my Logitech Cordless MouseMan Optical. Anyway around this as well?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Firstly I'd try system preferences > mouse/keyboard > mouse set tracking speed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
witeshark said:
Firstly I'd try system preferences > mouse/keyboard > mouse set tracking speed
Witeshark, as you undoubtedly are aware (as ALL Mac users are aware), there is no option to turn off acceleration by default in Mac OS. Perhaps you misunderstood his question, but going to the system preferences isn't going to help him in the least.

By default, PCs (read: Windows) doesn't use acceleration, so us PC users are all very used to a linear mouse speed. It's incredibly annoying to come over to a Mac and have to get used to a new type of mouse feel. Anyway, I've got an Intellipoint mouse, and Microsoft wrote some [poopie] drivers for it, that allow me to turn off the acceleration. If the maker of your mouse doesn't have such a thing, I'd have to say you're out of luck. There IS a system preference that can be set to either 1 or 0 that turns this on and off, but thus far I have never found a program that takes advantage of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
Osiris22x said:
Microsoft wrote some [poopie] drivers for it, that allow me to turn off the acceleration.
And how on earth are those drivers [poopie], as they do allow you to turn off mouse acceleration. You ought to be praising MS. Unlike Logitech :rolleyes:

OP
R

Rusyn

There is an acceleration hack out there, but it is a replacement driver for the plain Apple mouse and apparently not compatible with 3rd party mice.

http://www.idyll.org/~n8gray/code/

That's why I thought I'd aske here for compatible one, but I may try it though as the wording is a little vague.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Strider said:
And how on earth are those drivers [poopie], as they do allow you to turn off mouse acceleration. You ought to be praising MS. Unlike Logitech :rolleyes:
The driver is [poopie], because it randomly works when it feels like it. On top of that, many of the options work just fine, until you close the system preferences panel, and then they turn off.

I've tried the driver on multiple computers, and it always behaves the same. In typical Microsoft fashion, it simply doesn't work correctly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Osiris22x:
Murlyn is p1$$ed off at us now, and its all all coz of u. :p Why did u use the [poopie] word in ur post? :D
Anyways, good luck with ur [poopie] drivers!!!!!

OP
W

WilliS

murlyn, i <3 you :D

BTW, what is mouse acceleration? i have an intellimouse... and uh... it works like any mouse... you move it, and the little pointer on the screen moves... what more could you want? lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Profanity censors? ***? Are we all 10 years old again?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Graphite 500MHz G3, 640 MB Ram
I'm sure the moderators are just thinking of some viewers of this website who don't want to be offended :p I'm also sure there are some younger visitors to this website.

And I would also like to know what mouse acceleration is :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The following is what i got from this site:

There are two parameters that control the movement of the mouse: acceleration and threshold. The acceleration parameter is a multiplier that is applied to the mouse cursor motion. If the acceleration parameter is set to ``4'', the mouse cursor moves across the screen four times faster than you move the mouse.

Setting a high acceleration is convenient for quickly moving the mouse cursor large distances on your screen. However, it can be awkward when you want to position the mouse precisely. The pointer can move too quickly and it becomes difficult to focus the mouse cursor on a small area on your screen. To overcome this problem, you can set the threshold parameter. The threshold controls the number of pixels the mouse cursor must move before the cursor motion accelerates.

For example, suppose you set an acceleration value of ``6'' and a threshold value of ``8''. The mouse is configured so that if you move the mouse cursor more than 8 pixels, the cursor can then move 6 times as fast on the screen as you actually move the physical mouse.​

That should make it clear

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Graphite 500MHz G3, 640 MB Ram
Cool, that cleared that up.

Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.