Adding memory and hard drive?

M

mauly

How hard is it to add memory/HD yourself to the new eMacs?

Does the eMac have easy access to its internals like the G5.

:D

OP
B

Badger

mauly said:
How hard is it to add memory/HD yourself to the new eMacs?

Does the eMac have easy access to its internals like the G5.

:D

Adding memory is a piece o' cake. There is a panel on the bottom that flips open exposing the RAM slots. On the other hand, there is only space for one hard drive so you can replace it with a larger one but you cannot add a second internal HD. And opening the case to access the HD is not an experience to take lightly. In short, except for the RAM it is not easy to access the internals.
Badger

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
And eMac has 2 RAM slot making the max 2 X 512 > 1 gig RAM don't forget to touch the metal chassis to eliminate static!

OP
M

mauly

So when I buy an eMac its best to max the HD to 160GB, that way I don't even have to consider opening it.

I do plan to buy an external HD in the future, so that should sort that out..

"don't forget to touch the metal chassis to eliminate static!" is that when adding memory?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
mauly said:
So when I buy an eMac its best to max the HD to 160GB, "don't forget to touch the metal chassis to eliminate static!" is that when adding memory?
Yup is sure is! :)

OP
P

pnduk

get back files from hard drive

after two weeks bad behavior (crashes, freezes) my eMac (1Ghz, 60gb 512mb) refuses to start up at all.
I tryed to reinstall MacOS 10.2 with both "keep last system" and do "Upgrade system" options, but it doesn't work. Computer freeze after 2-3 minutes.
1. anybody knows this problem and how to solve it?
2. How I can take out that hard drive from the case?

thank you in advance, this is very important to me

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4Ghz Black 4GB;iPod Touch 8GB;iPod mini 4GB silver;Logitech MX1000;
pnduk said:
after two weeks bad behavior (crashes, freezes) my eMac (1Ghz, 60gb 512mb) refuses to start up at all.
I tryed to reinstall MacOS 10.2 with both "keep last system" and do "Upgrade system" options, but it doesn't work. Computer freeze after 2-3 minutes.

try a hardware check (you must have got the cd, i think it is the ram)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4Ghz Black 4GB;iPod Touch 8GB;iPod mini 4GB silver;Logitech MX1000;
pnduk said:

try a hardware check (you must have got the cd, i think it is the ram)

OP
S

shibiya

removing emac case

Badger said:
Adding memory is a piece o' cake. There is a panel on the bottom that flips open exposing the RAM slots. On the other hand, there is only space for one hard drive so you can replace it with a larger one but you cannot add a second internal HD. And opening the case to access the HD is not an experience to take lightly. In short, except for the RAM it is not easy to access the internals.
Badger

i'm getting another 512mb of ram for the ole emac and would like to remove the wookies from inside the case while i'm at it...any suggestions on getting the back open/are their any tricks?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.