Repair Permissions problem

Reaction score
I have been having very slow start ups. Twirling ball for a time and desk top takes a long time to show up. Also takes a long time to shut down computer. Running 10.2.8. Have tried to repair permissions but never get to the end of it. It appears to get stuck at the end. Have even left it run over night and can''t get repair permissions to finish. Help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
Have you tried using either Onyx or Main Menu? They can both repair disk permissions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
10.2.8 is over 3.5 years old. I'm not surprised it's not performing nicely.

OP
M
Reaction score
10.2.8 Repairs Permissions problem

Have you tried using either Onyx or Main Menu? They can both repair disk permissions.

I tried Onyx and also Mac Janitor. The computer worked fine for awhile then I ran permissions again and it still would not go to end and finish, even when let run over night. It is now back to taking a very long time to start up and right now, I haven't been able to get it to start up at all. All I see is the grey apple and the spinning gear.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
I think it sounds like time to get rid of lots of stuff that you don't use and to archive files that you want to keep. Clean out cookies and caches etc. Look at uninstalling the most recently installed applications one at a time...one of them maybe interferring somehow. Once you have cleaned up try OnyX or similar again. If that hasn't helped then I would be doinga fresh reinstall from a blank formatted hard drive.

Good Luck.

M

MacHeadCase

To be quite honest, Jaguar (Mac OS X 10.2.x) was very unstable compared to Mac OS X 10.3.x Panther. Why not try to buy off of eBay a full install version of Panther?

I used Jaguar on a G4 iMac and upgraded as soon as Panther came out and never regretted it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.