• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Capturing HD footage from Sony HC7 to Mac Pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro
Hi all,

2 weeks with my Mac Pro, and I am converted! Mac's Rock!

More Newbie-ness though...

Slightly unrelated to Mac-dom but I've bought the Mac and Final Cut Studio to edir HD footage, only to discover in the small print of my HD camera that the ilink cable will not allow HD to captured down through it from the cam to the Mac. Not entirely unexpected, I'd read that Hi Def consumer camcorders can only really be attached directly to Hi Def TVs. But I feel there must be away around this...

In addition ilink (firewire) in/output, the camcorder has a component video cable socket, an A/V connecting cable socket and an HDMI out socket. And the MacPro has firewire 400 and 800.

Q. How do I get HD 1080P 50i footage from the camcorder into FCS to edit?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac pro 2.66GHz, 2 20" cinema displays, 500GB, 2 G Ram
hey. you select a capture preset taht corresponds to your camcorder. aside from normal capture presets, there are advanced presets for certain cameras and the will not capture footage and allow remote control of the camera unless the correct preset is chosen.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.