What's the screen response time for the new 17" PB?

T

Tron

Anyone know? Hopefully it's under 20ms. :)

Also, anyone have trouble with the screens having uneven backlighting? I saw many complaints on Apple's website regarding this issue. I also saw a few complaints about screens having pixels that act strangly. It's definitely a screen issue since the display is fine on external displays. Anyone experienced this?

I'm about to get the 17" model, but I worry about these screen reports.

Anyone have some inside info on a G5 PB release? Maybe before next year? 2GHz would be nice. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.6 ghz G5, Dual Monitors / 17" PowerBook 1.33 / 12" iBook
My 17" 1.33ghz is perfect. No pixel issues and the backlighting is very consistant, even top to bottom and left to right.

If you buy it in an Apple Store, open and test it before you accept it and leave.

Jerry

OP
T

Tron

I found some screen info finally. It has a 25ms response time and a 300:1 contrast ratio. It seems eveyone offering a 17" laptop is using this screen. WUGA screens should be available in June and make their way to the public by August. I'd definitely wait now.

In fact, I'm no longer considering a PowerBook since I can get something much better for less. Check this bad boy out. http://www.sagernotebook.com/pages/notebooks/product2.cfm?ProductType=8790&SubType=S 400MHz RAM, RAID 0 setup with 7200 rpm drives, a 256 MB ATI 9700, TV tuner/remote, 6 channel analog out, a +/- DVD writer, a 7 in 1 card reader and a much faster processor. It does sacrifice battery life for these, but I'll mostly be near an outlet.

This is my new laptop as soon as it starts shipping with a WUGA screen and 3.6 GHz Prescott processors or better. :)

OP
S

StarManta

Until it breaks and you don't have AppleCare....

I hope you're gonna run Linux on that. ;)

OP
T

Tron

StarManta said:
Until it breaks and you don't have AppleCare....

I hope you're gonna run Linux on that. ;)

It has a great 3 three year warranty. It will be dual boot, Windows and Fedora.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
The 17s in the Apple store I have seen have terrific screen response! I never even thought about that as I tried 'em out :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum PowerBook G4. 15.2" SUPAH-drive
Tron said:
I found some screen info finally. It has a 25ms response time and a 300:1 contrast ratio. It seems eveyone offering a 17" laptop is using this screen. WUGA screens should be available in June and make their way to the public by August. I'd definitely wait now.

In fact, I'm no longer considering a PowerBook since I can get something much better for less. Check this bad boy out. http://www.sagernotebook.com/pages/notebooks/product2.cfm?ProductType=8790&SubType=S 400MHz RAM, RAID 0 setup with 7200 rpm drives, a 256 MB ATI 9700, TV tuner/remote, 6 channel analog out, a +/- DVD writer, a 7 in 1 card reader and a much faster processor. It does sacrifice battery life for these, but I'll mostly be near an outlet.

This is my new laptop as soon as it starts shipping with a WUGA screen and 3.6 GHz Prescott processors or better. :)
Sager.. haha my friends parents own it. :) It's a nice laptop, but still kinda pricey in my opinion. But it will make a nice substitute for the PB, :rolleyes:. And at least you'll have fedora available.. ;)

EY

OP
T

Tron

EYPUFF said:
Sager.. haha my friends parents own it. :) It's a nice laptop, but still kinda pricey in my opinion. But it will make a nice substitute for the PB, :rolleyes:. And at least you'll have fedora available.. ;)

EY

Maybe if Apple would get off their arses I could buy a 17" WUGA G5 PowerBook this fall. :)

Intle will have 4GHz Prescotts this fall/winter that will be very attractive.

OP
T

TylerMoney

the screen response is excellent with apples.....sure there is better screen response..but really, what are you going to use it for?...the processor may be faster for some things...but not for others...the trick is reliability. Apples are reliable....and sager is probably pretty good. So if you're going to get a pc laptop, that's cool. I would just say, don't let it be over screen response time......you won't really know a difference..maybe in gaming...but, ya know.....the price seemed pretty expensive to me. My roommates getting a pc laptop..only because he needs to run autocad.....alright, well...this was a very disorganized rant...but I think I'm done now.

OP
T

Tron

Screen response time is important for gaming, especially FPS. I don't game too often, but I do play FPS when I do. It doesn't really matter since like I mentioned earlier in this thread all 17" widescreens on current laptops are the same model from the same manufacturer. (can't remember which one) All have a 25ms response time. I can accept 25ms, but I can't accept WXGA. I'm in no hurry to buy so I'll wait for WUGA, Centrino 2 and 4 GHz P4's. Who knows, maybe an AMD Socket 939 and a G5 PB will be available then as well. It would be nice to have lots of options. :)

Also, I don't understand why people keep commenting on price. A 1.5 GHz 17" PB costs much more than the Sager and has far fewer features. Go to the Apple store and configure your ultimate system and see for yourself. The Sager is almost $500 US cheaper and has loads more features.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
Tron said:

Well, if PenTell Windoze Xpee is what you want, then go for it.... don't complain when you loose files, waste time formating and reinstalling the OS.

As for Apple TFT screens, since i last checked, The same 17" found in the Apple Display is used on the PB17 & iMac 17. And all of Apple's Displays confirm to Class 1 (suitable for the Military Uses) or ISO 13406 (see details below)

According to Apple, if the screen has any blinking pixels, it's considered faulty or 'substandard' and will be replaced free of charge.

Class 1 (suitable for Military Uses) or ISO 13406
Native Resolution: 1280 x 1024
No. of Pixels: 1,310,720
No. of Million Pixels: 1.31
Allowable Defects: 0

Erm... PC laptops only confirms to Class 2 (suitable for Home or Office) or in tech terms:

Class 2 (suitable for Home or Office) or ISO 13406-2
Native Resolution: 1280 x 1024
No. of Pixels: 1,310,720
No. of Million Pixels: 1.31
Allowable Defects: 3

I'll stick to my Apple all the same... it's perfectly formed!

*hugs PB*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
Tron said:
Screen response time is important for gaming, especially FPS. I don't game too often, but I do play FPS when I do. It doesn't really matter since like I mentioned earlier in this thread all 17" widescreens on current laptops are the same model from the same manufacturer. (can't remember which one) All have a 25ms response time. I can accept 25ms, but I can't accept WXGA. I'm in no hurry to buy so I'll wait for WUGA, Centrino 2 and 4 GHz P4's. Who knows, maybe an AMD Socket 939 and a G5 PB will be available then as well. It would be nice to have lots of options. :)

Also, I don't understand why people keep commenting on price. A 1.5 GHz 17" PB costs much more than the Sager and has far fewer features. Go to the Apple store and configure your ultimate system and see for yourself. The Sager is almost $500 US cheaper and has loads more features.

Hey Tron, if a budget is something that bother's you m8, than save yourself a buck and go for the cheaper option and enjoy all the additional gadgets and features you get.

I can sure you, most Apple users are happy with their purchase and if given the choice. I think they will keep to their PowerBook... Maybe you should ask those people in the Switcher's forum why they switched. It's not like Apple forced them.

Have fun with your Sager.

OP
T

Tron

hype.it said:
Hey Tron, if a budget is something that bother's you m8, than save yourself a buck and go for the cheaper option and enjoy all the additional gadgets and features you get.

I can sure you, most Apple users are happy with their purchase and if given the choice. I think they will keep to their PowerBook... Maybe you should ask those people in the Switcher's forum why they switched. It's not like Apple forced them.

Have fun with your Sager.

I have no problem with a budget. I just think it's strange that many people here commented that the Sager was expensive when the most comparable PowerBook is over $500 US more and has far fewer features and much less power.

Again, all the OS'es are great now. I haven't had one problem with Windows since Server 2000 arrived. I've never had a crash or lost anything since before Server 2000. Maybe you're still thinking about '98. ;) All the OS'es have their strength and weaknesses. The OSX weakness is definitely software. You can get most of the stuff you want, but other things like emulators lag far, far behind Windows. (OSX does have a great GBA emulator atleast :) ) Other than that, OSX is beautiful. I understand that this is a Mac forum, but having all three main OS types in my home already and using them all extensively, I really have no absolute preference. Power and features are what I will use to buy my new laptop, and Apple lags far behing here. Like I said before, I really hope they have a G5 PB this fall/winter so a PB is another option for me.

Sager -

CPU Pentium® 4 Processor with HT Technology 3.4GHz
Memory 1024MB PC3200 (2 DIMMs) SDRAM
Primary Hard Drive 60.0GB (7200rpm) Ultra DMA Hard Drive
Floppy Drive External USB 3.5" 1.44MB Floppy Drive
CD-ROM/DVD-ROM 2X DVD ± R/RW Dual-Mode Combo Drive & Softwares
Battery 8 Cells Smart Li-ION Battery
Modular Device Bay 60GB (7200rpm) Secondary Hard Disk Drive for Hardware Raid 0 (Data Strip)
Modem Integrated 56K V.90 Internal Fax/Modem
Network Adapter Integrated 1000Mbps Ethernet LAN + Internal 108Mbps Turbo Mode 802.11g Wireless LAN & Bluetooth Modules
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Warranty Additional 3-year warranty from Philips Magnavox/Lifetime support
TV-Tuner with Remote, Intergrated CMOS Video Camera, Hardware RAID 0 or 1 function and 7-in-1 Card Reader
ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9700 256MB DDR
External 3.5" FDD USB
6 Channel Analog Audio output
Touchpad with Scrolling Keys
1 Type II PCMCIA Slot
Infra Red, Wireless Fast IR interface
3 USB 2.0 Ports
1 IEEE-1394 Port (4 PIN)
Other Ports: 1 S/PDIF out & microphone in / Center & subwoofer speaker out, 1 Headphone / Front L/R Speaker out, 1 Line in / Rear L/R Speaker out, 1 infrared, DVI out port, 1 parallel, 1 Serial, 1 PS/2, 1 S-Video-Out, 1 S-Video-In, 1 RJ-45, 1 RJ-11

$3,400 US

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Boy, that Sager would be sweet with Mandrake 10 on it! :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nop! Wasn't thinking of 98.. 2k is good but used to have teething problems with older hardware, mostly due to software drivers.

Hmm... IMO every version of Linux has the same feel... UNFINISHED. Other than that, it's a great OS. Just ain't quite as smooth as OSX. :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.