Firefox takes 46 bounces to launch

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
My Macbook is getting slower and slower to launch programs after a reboot. I counted Firefox and it takes 46 bounces to start (it used to take about 4 or 5). I run the maintenance scripts regularly and have cleared out caches etc, so I am left to think that after booting up my Mac is busy doing other tasks.

Are there any utilities that show exactly what processes are being launched at startup? I know there is the standard stuff in the System Preferences, but I have virtually nothing there. What is it doing during those 46 bounces? Caching the internet? :eek:

Reaction score
Maybe the interweb's tubes are plugged.

Activity Monitor in the Utilities folder will tell you what's running. It offers choices as to the list of running processes — All Processes, My Processes, etc., along with the amount of RAM used and in reserve.

OP
Zoolook
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Maybe the interweb's tubes are plugged.

Activity Monitor in the Utilities folder will tell you what's running. It offers choices as to the list of running processes — All Processes, My Processes, etc., along with the amount of RAM used and in reserve.

I've taken a peek at that and not seen anything obvious. What'd be great would be a log of what my Macbook does from bootup to when it finally launches Firefox.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Applications > Utilities > Console.app
That shows a log of system messages.

You should use MenuMeters to see what the heck is going on when something takes so long. You can monitor net/cpu/disk activity right in the menu bar.

Attached: Disk Access, ram usage, network throughput

Picture 4.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
I can't believe you counted. But anyway, I had a similar issue with long popping icon.

I reinstalled firefox and never had any more issues.

Backup your bookmarks if you do.

Mind you I don't necessarily believe this fixes the issue for everyone it just happened to work for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
The bookmarks are stored in ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox....

So it's OK to trash your Firefox.app and replace it with a freshly downloaded one. No settings will be lost.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.