New iMac losing wireless connection

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.66Ghz, 4Gb RAM, 320Gb HDD, OSX 10.5.6
Hi Guys

Not sure if I'm missing something obvious here. My connection to the 'net is via airport and a wireless router connected to an always on cable modem. `the airport card is he only device specified under network, and I have locked the folder to avoid changes.

Am I missing a trick here? The IP address allocated to the mac should not expire after a few hours and I'm using WPA security so I think it's secure but I seem to lose the connection after an hour or two of no use, or when the iMac goes to sleep. I then have to go through the whole setup again as my ssid is not visible and my password is from ****.

Apologies if this seems daft but I'm not sure how to fix this problem, any ideas please ?

Thanks

Sipper

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hi Guys

Not sure if I'm missing something obvious here. My connection to the 'net is via airport and a wireless router connected to an always on cable modem. `the airport card is he only device specified under network, and I have locked the folder to avoid changes.

Am I missing a trick here? The IP address allocated to the mac should not expire after a few hours and I'm using WPA security so I think it's secure but I seem to lose the connection after an hour or two of no use, or when the iMac goes to sleep. I then have to go through the whole setup again as my ssid is not visible and my password is from ****.

Apologies if this seems daft but I'm not sure how to fix this problem, any ideas please ?

Thanks

Sipper

I had trouble with not broadcasting SSID and WPA. Broadcasting SSID and switching to WPA2 corrected the issues.

You can safely broadcast SSID. It is a common misconception that not broadcasting will yield better security. Even the weakest wi-fi sniffers can determine an SSID without it being broadcast. By not broadcasting it, you only make your wireless machines work harder to maintain and connect to a hotspot. Also, use a program like AirPort Radar to scan your neighborhood for other wi-fi hotspots and change your channel if someone else is using the same one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.