New iBook, tempramental Safari!!!

G

guywithsocks

First I'd like to say 'Howdy!' to everybody out there. Just got my first Apple and I'm extremely happy, but a little annoyed...

Safari crashes my iBook! I'm talking about a total crash; unresponsive mouse and unable to use shortcut keys to restart or force quit.

My iBook G3, 800Mhz came preinstalled w/ OS X Jaguar. I did a clean/format install of Panther, then ran system update. I'm connecting to the internet throught a D-Link DWL-122 802.11b dongle; I've updated to the latest drivers.

I installed Mozilla Firefox and it runs like a charm; no crashes, no burps. What is up with Safari? Is there a way to reinstall Safari w/o a complete reinstall? Can I trash Safari? Should I just be happy with Firefox?

Thanks in advance,
Guy

OP
W

Wapa18

well first u should probly try repair permissions. if that doesn't work, you can go onto versiontracker.com, and you can search for a program called pacifist. this will allow you to search your panther install discs and choose only the package you want to install (in this case safari). but before you would install it again, you should definitely trash the existing one and all its preference files.

OP
G

guywithsocks

Wapa18 said:
well first u should probly try repair permissions.

How do I repair permissions?

Wapa18 said:
but before you would install it again, you should definitely trash the existing one and all its preference files.

Are all the preference files in the Library folder in my Home drive?

Thanks,
Guy

OP
T

TylerMoney

repair permissions: applications/utilities/disk utility, choose drive, select repair permissioins.

and I'm from Texas too. Austin to be exact. I'm going to school in Pittsburgh PA, but it ain't no Texas.

OP
G

guywithsocks

Thanks for your help guys...Figured it out! Turns out my D-Link DWL-122 crashes my computer. Hooking up my iBook to standard ethernet yields a wonderful experience. So I guess the D-Link is going back to Best Buy and an Airport card is the next step....

TylerMoney said:
and I'm from Texas too. Austin to be exact. I'm going to school in Pittsburgh PA, but it ain't no Texas.

Are you at CMU? I go to Texas A&M ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Also if Safari is crashing - empty cache and delete history. cache is in the Safari menu and history has its own in the middle of the menu bar

OP
G

guywithsocks

witeshark said:
Also if Safari is crashing - empty cache and delete history. cache is in the Safari menu and history has its own in the middle of the menu bar
Unfortunately, It's not Safari's fault :( Stupid D-Link DWL-122 doesn't play well with Panther, I've discovered. I sent an email to Dong-Link's tech support. We'll see what they have to say...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Interesting... do you use Mac Janitor or run crons manually?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
cron tasks Finder, Applications. Utilities Terminal type (switching to root - superuser) sudo sh /etc/daily > this needs to be done /weekly (instead of daily) and monthly. again with all apps closed

OP
T

TylerMoney

I use a d-link, and I have no problems with it at all. Just so you know, cause you might have a bad one.

OP
G

guywithsocks

TylerMoney said:
I use a d-link, and I have no problems with it at all. Just so you know, cause you might have a bad one.
Do you use OS 10.2 or 10.3.3? Is this the D-Link you use?
DWL-122_cat.jpg

You know...the one that looks like a tampon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
TylerMoney said:

Excuse my ignorance, but what advantage does the D-Link hold over an Airport card? Where does that plug in - USB? How do you monitor reception. Sorry, it's late, my brain is tired, and I'm a bit confused. :confused:

OP
G

guywithsocks

Padawan,

The D-Link DWL-122 is supposedly PC/Mac "compatible" if you wanted to share it with, for instance, 2 different computers. It connects through the USB port and you can monitor the system reception by checking System Preferences. Also, there's a little antenna that shows up next to the clock that you can click on and it summarizes the adaptors info.

However, do NOT get this adaptor. Go to Amazon.com and search for the DWL-122 and read the reviews. Many Mac users have problems with this WiFi adaptor and so did I...wish I had read their reviews first :(

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT USING PACIFIST TO REINSTALL SAFARI!!! WA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It ruined my Safari. When you right click it says "localized string not found" as well as some buttons saying the same thing. Had to reformat last night.
:mad:

OP
T

TylerMoney

I use 10.3.3
and no, that isn't the d-link I use...mine looks nothing like a tampon.

the airport card and d-link are totally different. the d-link is a wireless router that takes your broadband internet connection, and shoots it out as a wirless feed, so that someone with an aiport card in their mac can use wireless internet (also works for any wifi card for that matter). but if what you meant was what's the difference between the d-link and airport base station...well..it's price.

I believe this is the d-link model I have:

DI-524_main.gif

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.