keyboard troubles

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
soon to be: 20'' 2.16ghz 1gb ram 250 harddrive.
the keyboard as been working fine since i got it on monday, but today (wednesday) something strange as happened and i don't know how to sort it out.

first. i have two accounts, one with my name and my prefrences and another to act as administrator.

now on the account with my name i had the keyboard typing rate set up how i wanted it, fast and no delay. the other account is set up exactly the same the two preferences are identical.
so i log into my named account today and the typing is groggy i have to press the keys hard, . doesn't work i can't hold delete down and it work and if i try to type at my normal rate. something like 'hi how are you?' comes out hreu? even though i've pressed all the keys. i looked in the keyboard settings and they are exactly how i left them. the strange thing thought when i log in on the administrator account it works fine, i'm typing this using the other account with exactly the same prefrences. i know my keyboard is not broken but can't understand what as happened and why they respond so differently.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
It almost sounds like the cpu is so busy that it is missing the letters being typed.
a) Do you have something really taxing the system when you see that problem?
b) Is it always the same exact letters being missed every single time?

OP
photojunkie
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i have now switched back to the account with the problem. i am going to retype this paragraph at the speed i usually type at in other account. instead of at this slow rate i'm doing now so it comes out right, here goes.

i ow ced a t heunt w thee aing to ee araa he s e h heron nstead f a s wratei'dn nw o it sout r erees (that is the above paragraph written at my nomal typing speed in the account with my name which was working fine untill this morning

OP
photojunkie
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i've decided to transfer all my pictures and music to my other user profile and have my original profile as the administrator, and use the new one for everything else. is this okay. or should i be using the original one i created when i set the computer up.

if you reinstall osx do you create new user accounts and have to re-register etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
If you do a clean install and format (prolly the better idea), yea it's like starting completely over again. I remember you could install windows over the existing version if it wasn't working properly and not lose info, is that what you mean? I've never tried that with OS X, so I couldn't say if it was possible or not.
Lastly, rockin photo. My mind went straight to the gutter when I first glanced at it. :)
Bryan

I've never seen this problem before. Sorry to hear it.

My mouse pointer jumps a lot. Is that fixable? I think I have it on super sensitive so it works quickly, but sometimes it will go off in other directions or something.

Reaction score
Hello, the installer gives you the option of wiping everything out or just reinstalling the OS while preserving all your info and possibly the offending settings. The installer is intuative and asks you to confirm before doing anything. I too think you may have a run away program causing your trouble. Go to Finder >> Applications >> utilities >> Activity Monitor and have a look. There will be a table with a list of processes and the amount of CPU being used by each process. If one is obscenely high it is your problem.

M

MacHeadCase

i've decided to transfer all my pictures and music to my other user profile and have my original profile as the administrator, and use the new one for everything else. is this okay. or should i be using the original one i created when i set the computer up.

if you reinstall osx do you create new user accounts and have to re-register etc.

You can skip the registering after the re-install. And as jakeroberts says, there are three types of installs with Mac OS X Tiger: Simple Upgrade, Archive and Install and Erase and Install.

If keeping your personal data is important because you have a lot of stuff, the route to go is Archive and Install. From Apple's webpage:

This option saves your existing system files in a special archive, then installs Tiger. You can choose to automatically import your user information and settings into Tiger so you don’t have to reconfigure your printers, Mail and other applications.

If you don't mind setting up your internet settings and can burn to CD or DVD the data you want to keep (like for instance, if I'm not mistaken, emails can be found here: Macintosh HD -> Users -> Your User Account -> Library -> Mail folder... if you use Safari, bookmarks are found here: Macintosh HD -> Users -> Your User Account -> Library -> Safari -> Bookmarks.plist), Erase and Install is the way to go. That way you get a fresh new system and the hard drive has been cleaned out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.