eMacs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Graphite 500MHz G3, 640 MB Ram
Hello all,

I have recently been seriously considering getting an eMac, and would like to put forward a couple of questions on these forums to anybody who has any experience of using the new eMacs, or just anyone who could help me at all:

First of all... I hear the graphics card isn't too great at all. I also hear that you can't upgrade it. Does the eMac play games to high standard of graphical quality?

Will I need to upgrade the RAM to 1GB to get the most out of this machine?

And finally, how noisy is it?

Any help is greatly appreciated, of course :)

Cheers.

B

Badger

Joeth said:
Hello all,

I have recently been seriously considering getting an eMac, and would like to put forward a couple of questions on these forums to anybody who has any experience of using the new eMacs, or just anyone who could help me at all:

First of all... I hear the graphics card isn't too great at all. I also hear that you can't upgrade it. Does the eMac play games to high standard of graphical quality?

Will I need to upgrade the RAM to 1GB to get the most out of this machine?

And finally, how noisy is it?

Any help is greatly appreciated, of course :)

Cheers.

1) The graphics chip set is a recent ATI set but it is not the most recent and there is only 32mg of graphics memory; in short high graphics loads may not be handled as well as you would like. The graphics chip set is built into the main board so there is no upgrade possible. The eMac is a great value for a general purpose machine but it was not designed as a high-end games platform.
2) The eMac is now shipping with 256 mgs of RAM (over here anyway); That's marginal for OS X. You should consider an additional 256 or 512. Given the current low price of RAM it is a good time to max it out if you can afford it.
3) My eMac shares an office with my tray-loading iMac (This model still had an internal fan.) and a 6400. In operation it is marginally quieter than the iMac. When the eMac sleeps the fan stops; with the other two the fan still runs contributing to the noise level.

Badger

OP
Joeth
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, thank you very much :) I think I will be buying it with 1GB of RAM, if I even do buy it at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
If you currently have a Graphite G3 iMac as your specs indicate, then you will be more than satisfied with an eMac. I too had the same iMac as you as well as an older Powerbook G3 (Wallstreet). My eMac blows the doors off of each of them and I don't regret my purchase one bit.

M

mjmchase

I just purchased the new emac with superdrive Friday and it is great. I was origionally a Mac user (Performa 630 in the mid 90's ) but have been using Windows the last 6 years or so both at work and home. Our home computer was a compac running XP with a 333 mhz celeron processor. Needless to say, my new emac is a huge jump in performance, even over my work computer, a 1 year old Dell. I bought it at the apple store in Chicago and walked across the street to Compusa and picked up a 512 stick of memory on sale, so I am working with 768 and it is awesome. have burned a few DVD's with no problems and everything else I have done is easier and faster on the mac. Makes me wonder why I waited so long to come back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
As a doz user about as long as you have been (almost) I am just thrilled with the switch! You will find the OS X dynamics are a thing of beauty as I have! The new Macs have a different maintanence which you can see in this thread Enjoy! :)

OP
Joeth
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, eMac it is then.

But... I know the eMacs have been very recently upgraded and dropped in price, but people are talking about the Apple Summer upgrades. Does anybody have any idea if this will apply to eMacs, with them having such a recent upgrade? I personally doubt it, but I could either buy now, or wait till Summer when I will have even more cash saved, for more RAM and more accessories etc.

Thanks for your replies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
No eMacs will not have an upgrade since they just had one :)

OP
Joeth
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mmm, that would be too good to be true :)

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.