mount smb shares on login

Reaction score
Hello, I have an iMac with 10.4.9 installed. I also have a Linux box with a static IP address and a samba share. I would like the Mac to connect to the samba share on the Linux box automatically every time I log in. Is there a good way to do this?

Reaction score
Hello, I have an iMac with 10.4.9 installed. I also have a Linux box with a static IP address and a samba share. I would like the Mac to connect to the samba share on the Linux box automatically every time I log in. Is there a good way to do this?

If I understand you correctly, you want the share to auto mount on your iMacs desktop when you log in?

So, try this:

System Preferences -> Accounts -> YourUserName

... and click on the padlock to unlock it if necessary. Then click on Login Items and go back to your desktop and drag the samba share icon from your desktop to the Login Items window. Close System Preferences and your done.

Now when your linux box is running and you log into your iMac, the share will be auto mounted and the share window will launch. If the fact that the window opens as the share is mounted bothers you, I wish I could offer a solution but I just deal with this.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.