System crashing with USB mouse disconnect

Reaction score
I've recently set up my MBP as a desktop replacement for my PC and hooked up my Logitech MX-518 USB mouse. I've noticed that after the mouse has been plugged in for a few hours and then I disconnect it so I can take the laptop into another room the screen goes gray and I get an Apple error message in a few different languages telling me to hold down the power button to restart or shut down the computer. I'm trying to figure out what the story is. I don't see anything on the desktop to eject before removing the mouse and sometimes I notice that when I plug in/unplug the mouse within a short amount of time I don't get any errors at all. I thought it was because I installed some logitech mouse drivers for the mac and I also tried installing USB overdrive. I uninstalled the logitech software and USB overdrive and it didn't change anything.

I'm still a Mac newb in a lot of ways so if anybody has any suggestions I'd be happy to hear them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.