New G5 need basic setup for root. Newbie

J

javanutz

Hi,
I've just got a new G5 and Im a newbie to MACs. I just turned on the system and set up the admin account. How do I get root access to the system? Because when I go into the terminal and try "su" and used the admin password, the system won't let me log in. Please help.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Admin access in the terminal is by sudo. Setting up root user never be on line as root:
Open NetInfo Manager, located in Applications > Utilities.
Choose Security > Enable Root User and type a password for the root account. You may need to type an administrator password to make these changes.
Choose Apple menu > Log Out.
Choose Other in the Login window, type root in the Name field, and the root password in the Password field.

OP
J

javanutz

Choose Security?

Sorry there is no security option in netinfo manager. The current OS im on is OSX Panther. I don't know if this makes a difference or not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
javanutz said:
Choose Security?

Sorry there is no security option in netinfo manager. The current OS im on is OSX Panther. I don't know if this makes a difference or not.
If you are just trying Admin execution all you have to do is type sudo (command) and then you are promted for Admin password. Example: I wanna do my day cron: sudo sh /etc/daily <enter>
Password: ****** <enter> -all done. In the Netinfo I posted are the steps to enable root user in which login you have absolute authority and don't need the password

OP
J

javanutz

witeshark said:
If you are just trying Admin execution all you have to do is type sudo (command) and then you are promted for Admin password. Example: I wanna do my day cron: sudo sh /etc/daily <enter>
Password: ****** <enter> -all done. In the Netinfo I posted are the steps to enable root user in which login you have absolute autority and don't need the password
So does that mean if i am an admin, I already have root access? Then how come when i use the command "su" to get root access it prompts me for a password?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
The account you created when you set up your system has administrator privileges. The root account as you know controls and owns the whole system. There is also a regular user account with privileges.

With that said, if you want to su to the root, then you will have to enable the account as you stated.

As the administrator if you need temporary root privileges, you use sudo (i.e. sudo command).

As witeshark suggested is it not wise to log in as the root user if your system is on the net.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
javanutz said:
So does that mean if i am an admin, I already have root access? Then how come when i use the command "su" to get root access it prompts me for a password?
In Mac OS X the su Unix command is sudo in one word, that's why you were not prompted - sudo gives about 5 or so minutes of root type access and as I say and rman said, please don't use it or true root on line

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.