Looking for DVD player software

Reaction score
One of the few things I still haven't found a Mac alternative for when I recently switched was a DVD software player that will play a DVD at 1.5x speed and still maintain audio and readable close caption/subtitles. I'ved used VLC and OS X's players and both will FF, but not without losing the audio or making subtitles very hard to read as they blend together.

Without going into lots of specifics, there are occasions where I can watch, but only with subtitles and no audio and there isn't a huge noticeable difference in video slightly sped up. Plus, I can watch through more things faster during those times - nice for those long interludes where little happens on screen.

I used to do this wonderfully with CyberPower DVD in Windows (they don't make a Mac version). Does anybody know a player that will actually play at 1.5 speed and make the captions readable and the audio audible when I need it?

If not, my alternative would seem to be to just install PowerDVD on my Boot Camp partition and use it for watching DVDs during these times. I'd prefer to just do it in OS X if i can, however.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Another alternative would be to rip the DVD to a Quicktime movie using Handbrake, and then use Quicktime's control panel to run through the movie faster as you play it.

I've done this with movies and podcasts and it's surprising to see how much material I can get through...

OP
Smell The Glove
Reaction score
That's good to know that I can do that. Obviously, I don't want to rip a bunch of DVDs every time I travel, but there are definitely some situations where I might use that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.