• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Im balding! Any tips?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 AGP 400 MHz 1.34gb RAM
I will tell you what could be worse than a man being bald:
When I was in kindergarden, there was a girl student who was completely bald due to some illness/fever when she was a baby. She had to wear a hat and all the boys would pull her hat to make fun of her. She tried to get by wearing a wig, but it looked too fake. So, making fun and taunting did not stop. I stood by her the whole time. She ended up quitting school.

Reaction score
High Wycombe, Just outside London, England
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 2Gb RAM Early 2006, 30Gb iPod 5th Gen. 15" MacBookPro, 2.33GHz
I too have a receeding hairline. I keep promising myself that if it gets any worse I will shave it all off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
If my hair is still wet by the time I've stepped out of the shower, I know it needs cutting.

Reaction score
If my hair is still wet by the time I've stepped out of the shower, I know it needs cutting.

+1

I had long (shoulder length or just about) hair in high school. Long, stringy, oily hair that fit in perfectly with the random Motley Crue or Iron Maiden black t-shirt. Then I realized that dating cute girls > being a head-banging "rebel."

OP
skye
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
+1

I had long (shoulder length or just about) hair in high school. Long, stringy, oily hair that fit in perfectly with the random Motley Crue or Iron Maiden black t-shirt. Then I realized that dating cute girls > being a head-banging "rebel."

*takes notes*

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Might I suggest one of these:

prkpie-300.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 AGP 400 MHz 1.34gb RAM
I don't dwell on appearance. Why bother if you cannot change it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Yes. "They're bald."

If I ever started to lose my hair, I think I'd go the shaved head route. Rather be in control of the situation than let my hair follicles call the shots!

That's exactly what I did about 5 or 6 years ago. I razor it about once a week and when I'm lazy I let it grow a bit.

Reaction score
During the days of the wild west the indians scalped many men and you never heard one of them complain.

Reaction score
Wait! I'm sorry. My reply was cruel.I may need your help down the road when i switch to a Mac and you'll stick it to me. Like telling me new Macs work better if you soak them in water before use. Seriously though, i was losing hair a few years ago and my doctor did a simple blood test and said my thyroid was off kilter. Whatever that means. Ever since i take a thyroid pill (synthroid) and i have no problems.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
whatever you do, don't sport the balding guy mullet!

seriously, to echo lots of others. i always had a high hairline, and found the bald spot becoming noticable in my mid 20s. i had long hair most of my life until that point, and had a cathartic head shaving moment. now i usually do about a 1/4" on the back and sides and around the spot and fade to about 1/2" on top/front. i'll let that grow out to about an inch, inch and a half and then do it again.

get yourself a nice wahl, and try to work out some double mirror deal to see the back of your head to trim your neck.
just don't let your friends do it or you'll be sporting the reverse mohawk. :)

OP
skye
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
oohnoo I am sporting the balding guy mullet!

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
get thee to great clips!

OP
skye
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
lol, i actually normally go to a local barber, its 13$ and it makes me feel better about myself by supporting a mom and pop shop

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
cool! all for that!

Reaction score
Hair for advice (sorry about that)

Hi Everyone,

What an interesting thread for those of us suffering from diminishing hair. Up until the last few years I always had a great head of hair but recently it has become more of a great head of head. I have often thought of shaving it all off. However, there is one thing that stops me -- I have a beard. Unfortunately it is not a goatee or an isolated beard; it goes all the way up to and into my hairline at the sides. (I have plenty of hair at the sides and back but not much on the top.) What stops me shaving my scalp is what I do about my beard. I have had it for over 30 years and I would hate to lose it. I suppose I could shave my head and have the beard start in line with the tops of my ears. But I figure that is going to look quite strange. And I can't say that I have ever seen anyone with a beard and a shaven head.

What do you guys (and girls if you are so moved) think? I need some opinions please.

Thank you for reading this.

OP
skye
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
agreed, i have a full beard because i hate shaving.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
DubeDude - Nothing wrong with the upside-down head look.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.