Mail and Outlook Express

M

mymac

Why does Outlook Express get full of emails even when I delete them from Mail. They seem to build up in OE. I only have the Mail application open in the dock (the stamp with an eagle on it). I thought by deleting from mail, that would be it, done.

What do you think?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
After deleting from mail do you use command K to cmplete it?

OP
M

mymac

witeshark said:
After deleting from mail do you use command K to cmplete it?

Hi
I let them build up a bit, then go to empty deleted messeges, (i've just had a look and it says command K nextr to it) but they're still in OE. It takes ages opening that, as it goes through classic which takes a while to open.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
It seems you may wanna stop using OE then? That should be easy enough by removing the e-mail address from it so e-mail no longer goes to it. In other words, all your e-mail is being duplicated into OE?

OP
C

Chamorro

mymac said:
you mean that I've got 2 e-mail addresses?

No....it means that both OE and Mail are "downloading" your email off your ISP's server.
Go to Mail's Preferences, and look for the option to "Delete retreived messages" and select it. This will delete your email off of the ISP's server, so that next time you open up OE, you won't get duplicate messages.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Is there any reason you need to use both Mac Mail and OE? Seems a bit inconvenient, no?

OP
M

mymac

brilliant, ive (you two!!) have done it. Ive deleted my account from outlook express and left it open in mail. Now my e-mail only goes to Mail (stamp picture) which is what I wanted so I don't need to open OE anymore - and wait for classic to load!
I didn't realise both accounts worked at the same time coz when i set mail up, i only did it in the Mail (stamp) one, not even looking at OE.

Cheers to you both for your help. I feel like Im getting to know my mac now...slowly!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
So very glad it was helpful! If you don't already have a method on daily weekly and monthly crons, (like Mac Janitor) let me know and I'll post it (you may have already seen it somewhere in the firums)

OP
M

mymac

I've seen something about crons, but don't know what they are or what to do with them. It would be great if you could let me know.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.