iPod problem with ejecting

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,white 2.16ghz C2D/2GB RAM/120GB, iPOD 60GB
I have a 60GB iPod video, disk use enabled.

I don't use iTUNES at my office PC (windows XP), I just use my ipod as an external hard drive where I put all my work files. Lately when I try to 'safely remove hardware', it always says: "problem ejecting usb mass storage device : The device 'generic volume' cannot be stopped right now. Try stopping the device again later." Even if I try several times again much later it still has that error. So I just pull out the USB while I manually reset, it's very inconvenient and I'm afraid it is damaging my iPod. Is there a solution to this?

P.S. none of the files within my iPod are being used at the times I try to eject it.

Thanks, any suggestion will be much appreciated :bone:

Reaction score
I have a 60GB iPod video, disk use enabled.

I don't use iTUNES at my office PC (windows XP), I just use my ipod as an external hard drive where I put all my work files. Lately when I try to 'safely remove hardware', it always says: "problem ejecting usb mass storage device : The device 'generic volume' cannot be stopped right now. Try stopping the device again later." Even if I try several times again much later it still has that error. So I just pull out the USB while I manually reset, it's very inconvenient and I'm afraid it is damaging my iPod. Is there a solution to this?

P.S. none of the files within my iPod are being used at the times I try to eject it.

Thanks, any suggestion will be much appreciated :bone:

Ok, I think the problem might be either of these 3:

1. You have a file on the flash drive open in an Application and the System is warning you that the drive can’t be ejected until you close the file. Close the application hosting the file (remembering to save first if you want to keep any changes) and try ejecting the drive again.

If you don’t have any files open then

2. Look for any instances of Windows Explorer that are looking at the drive – that can lock the drive too.

3. Another thing that can sometimes lock up a drive is a virus scanner that’s in the process of checking the drive.

However, I have googled this problem and found that sometimes, for no good reason at all, you just can’t eject a drive properly so you have no alternative other than to pull it out of the USB port of shut down the PC.

This should cause no problems to your iPod as long as there doesn’t seem to be any drive activity and no files are open, so be very careful about checking that.

So in finishing, just take care and always try to get it to eject safely first.

OP
qwinkan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,white 2.16ghz C2D/2GB RAM/120GB, iPOD 60GB
Thanks Pulse-8 (^.^)

it's not #1, coz I closed all applications
might be #2, so how do I look for instances of win explorer looking at the drive?
might not be #3, since the virus scanner wasn't running at these times

i don't know if this would help but I noticed it started right after I restored/reformatted my ipod. I mean before reformatting there would be times it had that error but after a few minutes I'd be able to eject with no problems. but since the reformat, it has never ejected properly. could I have done something?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.