Screen Flickers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0 Core Duo, 60 GB HDD, 1 GB RAM, 19" Samsung Widescreen External Monitor
when screen dims before going to sleep, it will flicker until it goes to sleep or until i get start using it again... :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4
Try resetting the pram:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=2238

I've posted this link so many times people are going to think that this is all I know! My screen used to flicker and I reset the pmu and the pram and it hasn't flickered since. But as a reward I have a nice black x over my battery icon. You could try resetting the pmu also:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303319

I don't know if any of this will fix your problem, but it fixed mine and a few other peoples. Try the pram first and then the pmu. Then do the pram again. If you do get an x over your battery icon, call apple care and they should send you a new battery. Something in resetting the pmu clashes with the latest firmware and causes the battery not to be recognized. It could just be that there are a ton of faulty batteries. I'm not sure. Either way, good luck and I hope you enjoyed my novel!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo 1.25Gb Ram WiFi'd To Airport Extreme!
my screen doesnt flicker
but a lot of times it dims and gets bright a lot especially out of sleep

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4
my screen doesnt flicker
but a lot of times it dims and gets bright a lot especially out of sleep

Does it clear up after awhile? You could try resetting the pram. Apple knows about the screen flicker and screen problems in general, but they are not doing anything about it. They are just collecting data on the issue.
I would advise to reset the pram and give apple care a call. They wont be able to help much, but at least a case will be logged. The more cases logged the quicker apple will do something about the problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
My girlfriend's having the same problem, I'm taking her's in to get fixed, it's unbearable...

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0 Core Duo, 60 GB HDD, 1 GB RAM, 19" Samsung Widescreen External Monitor
yeah it bugs me beyond belief. once it idles for a while then it starts to flicker and wont stop until the screen saver kicks in. but i dont have applecare and have had my macbook for over a year so there is no taking it in to the apple store to get it fixed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
There are lots of conflicting reports about this screen flickering. My Macbook did it almost from new - I reset the PMU and it fixed the issue - it's definately not the PRAM doing this, it's to do with power management when the CPU is idle I think.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
Mine flickers when you wake it up from sleep, you see the desktop, flicker, then back to normal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There are lots of conflicting reports about this screen flickering. My Macbook did it almost from new - I reset the PMU and it fixed the issue - it's definately not the PRAM doing this, it's to do with power management when the CPU is idle I think.

I think you got some thing there. Ever since i reset my pmu and pram and have had the x over my battery icon, my screen hasn't flickered. Which makes me wonder if it is a batch of defective batteries or if it actually has something do with the cpu. Or if the battery is having some affect on the cpu? Won't know for sure until I get my new battery. I'm very curious about this issue though. I think apple is going to have a major recall of batteries soon.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
alright, well so far, problem resolved...reset both the PRAM and the PMU and didnt work when the pram was reset, so like everyone said above, it is most likely the pmu. apple should really do somethin about this. i talked with them and they told me to send my comp in for it to be repaired. i dont think so... :)

Reaction score
I'm just about to reset my pram and pmu but i'm still sending my macbook in because the area to the right and left of the trackpad is turning black.

Anyway, quick question... should i remove my umm... not legit applications and music before i send it in?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
It might be a good idea.. :/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm just about to reset my pram and pmu but i'm still sending my macbook in because the area to the right and left of the trackpad is turning black.

Anyway, quick question... should i remove my umm... not legit applications and music before i send it in?

You should back data up, but what business is it of apples what you have on your computer? They should only be focusing on fixing your problem, not sniffing around your files and folders like a nosey mom. :Angry-Tongue:

Reaction score
You should back data up, but what business is it of apples what you have on your computer? They should only be focusing on fixing your problem, not sniffing around your files and folders like a nosey mom. :Angry-Tongue:

True...

when i do send it for a screen flicker issue do they format it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
True...

when i do send it for a screen flicker issue do they format it?

They might. I would back everything up like they were. Better safe then sorry.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
I did the whole turn around with Apple regarding my flickering Macbook screen. You can find the results here:)

(That post has to do with other issues including the flickering, btw)

In my situation, the flickering was due to the inverter apparently, it was replaced and my flickering has ceased.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.