• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

New Phone! Woo!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
- Macbook -
I'm super excited. I called up to upgrade my mobile phone ( for free, yay! ) earlier this evening, within 2 to 3 working days I will have in my possession a brand spanking new Samsung U600! It's been a loooong 18 months with my current Sony Ericsson W550i, but it has been a good phone without a doubt and has most certainly taken a beating with well over 13,000 texts sent plus almost 200 hours call time...ohh dear! However I am scared to make the switch to Samsung after having SE's for about 3 years now :( But what the heck, the switch from Windows to Mac has being nothing but great, so what harm can another switch do huh? ;)

Does anyone have any experiences with the Samsung U600? I've read mixed reviews, but mostly good. Only time will tell, it best be good! I'm stuck with it for another 18 months until I'm due another free upgrade :eek:neye:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - iPhone
oooooo i havent even seen that phone! i have the samsung d807 and have no complaints. I've found i much prefer flip phones to sliders, though. as you are an avid texter as well, ive found the edge of the top part gets in the way sometimes... feels like not a big enough area. Oh, well i guess the erickson is like that too.

Im sure you'll love it. samsung has, as of late, greatly improved their UI imo.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
Congrats, Flic! Hope it works out good for you. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I'm not into sliders personally, but if I got one, it would be that one. Very nice. Big screen, good camera. Nice choice!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
I have the same phone! It arrived last Thursday so I'm still getting used to it. Only issues I've had is with the texting, if you use multi-tap you should be fine but I've always used T9 and all they seem to have done on this phone is add some annoying features - so much so that I'm now re-learning to multi-tap. I prefer to talk anyway.
It has some nice features that are new to me (Last phone was a samsung too - P300. Excellent phone) like search etc. Image Stamp is quite cool to play around with aswell.
The one thing that is troubling me (Now that I'm used to the touch buttons) is that I've read about a Business Card Recognition feature, where you take a photo of a business card and it scans the pic and enters it into your address book. At first, when I couldn't find it in the phone or instructions, I thought it was a wind-up but it is mentioned on most reviews of the phone as a feature. Any ideas?

OP
Flic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
- Macbook -
Thanks for the replies! I know what you mean about the space above the keys ambivalent, think my SE is pretty much the same... if not I'll have to adjust lol

The business card feature sounds a bit cool, moss918! Can't wait to have a play around with it. I'm at work all day tomorrow so hopefully it'll arrive during the day so I can have something to do tomorrow eve! Yay!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
Finally found it... and it works. Nice feature :black:

OP
Flic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
- Macbook -
How do you do it? My phone arrived this morning, woo! Just have to get used to it now, loving it so far though!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
When you're in camera mode theres a little icon with 2 arrows in a square shape (Right hand touch button - they're orange/blue) This brings up a Mode menu where you'll find "Namecard Recognition".

I still find it wierd that a function mentioned on almost all review sites as a "cool" feature, is so buried away and (as far as I can tell) isn't mentioned in the manual.

OP
Flic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
- Macbook -
Ahh, cool! Thanks my lovely! I'm a bit sad you can't change the theme (as far as I can tell anyways) but I'm sure I'll get over it lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
Ahh, cool! Thanks my lovely! I'm a bit sad you can't change the theme (as far as I can tell anyways) but I'm sure I'll get over it lol

How do you mean theme? You can change the appearance in the display settings. Have you seen the different "dialling displays" yet? They're in "Settings/Display settings" also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Congrats! I just google'd that phone and it is one nice phone. I sure wouldn't mind having one... I think I can upgrade my phone in September.. So depending on what Telus has at the time, Ill probably go with a white LG Chocolate or the Samsung U510.

OP
Flic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
- Macbook -
Thanks Punkr0x0r, I'm pretty chuffed with it!

And moss, I mean themes like the ones you can download off http://www.zedge.net/ I'm pretty sure the U600 doesn't support any new themes. No prizes for guessing what colour I wanted to change my menu to ;)

Oh, and the dialing displays are pretty cool too!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
I got my Samsung a950 because I can record 15 second bits of sound/music and use them as my ring tone! I don't know if other phone manufacturers offer this feature (not all Samsung models have it).

Looks like a slick pick, Flic! ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I got my Samsung a950 because I can record 15 second bits of sound/music and use them as my ring tone! I don't know if other phone manufacturers offer this feature (not all Samsung models have it).

Looks like a slick pick, Flic! ;)

That's a great idea! I'm gonna try it later.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.