Godaddy FTP and iWeb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro
I am sick of using wordpress and want to upload an iWeb site but I do not have, and do not wish to have an .Mac account. I have read that you can use iWeb with any hosting service as long at it uses FTP. My domain name is with Godaddy and they have some free hosting and I am trying to use that.

So far I have:

1. Published my iWeb site to a folder
2. Using "hostingmanager.secureserver.net's" java based FTP client I uploaded the iWeb files and the index file.

Now I am stuck. I am not sure what it is i need to do next.

If anyone has any idea how to set this up, or knows of another way to use iWeb without .Mac let me know.

Thanks
Adam

Reaction score
Try this this link...

A lot of times I just know how to do something but can't explain it to others because I simply don't know the terminology and do it without thinking. GoDaddy should have exact directions as well in their help files.

Hope this helps you.

PS I use CyberDuck as my FTP client... it's free. I just reread your post as well... I'm not sure exactly where you're at or what you need... pls let me know how things work out.

Reaction score
I use iWeb and Transmit for ftp to my host: DreamHost. I love them! They have been just fantastic, going out of their way to make sure everything is set up for me. Seriously.

Some people say load times are slow. Maybe they are. Will that improve? I know that for me, the price with amount of bandwidth and storage + support makes it a fabulous deal.

Also, if you're going to do it, get a code from someone on here. They have a referral program. I ended up paying about 29 dollars for a year of this exceptional service.

My domain is through godaddy too. Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
Make sure that you upload everything in the folder you exported your site too. Also, when the window comes up to export your site, it has a blank with a web address in it. make sure that it is your web address (e.g. http://www.<yourwebaddress>.com), if not then iWeb can't set the links to all of your pages correctly during export.

Once you upload, you should be able to get the Welcome.html or index.html file to work.

Also, iWeb will probably ask where you want to export the file too...it will probably link in a way that makes the file require you to point at http://www.<yourwebaddress>.com/<foldernameyouexportedtoo>/index.html

Be careful of this.

Hope it helps, let me know if you need more,

Brian

Reaction score
no host?

OK - possibly a stupid question...

Can I publish from iWeb to a godaddy.com domain using an FTP without having a HOST??? I only have a domain name and am using the "website tonight" package from godaddy.

I've used an FTP in my Automator but this error keeps coming up:
"FTP Upload Error:
Could not access
ftp.<mywebaddress>.com at port 21"

VERY new to this but would sure love some help.

thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
OK - possibly a stupid question...

Can I publish from iWeb to a godaddy.com domain using an FTP without having a HOST??? I only have a domain name and am using the "website tonight" package from godaddy.

I've used an FTP in my Automator but this error keeps coming up:
"FTP Upload Error:
Could not access
ftp.<mywebaddress>.com at port 21"

VERY new to this but would sure love some help.

thanks!

I have no idea what "Website tonight" is.... but in order to have a website (viewable on the web) it needs to be hosted, which is to say it has to be "put" somewhere, in order for it to exist. I use iWeb (I'm going to dreamweaver very soon) to design the website, and my website is hosted by Dreamhost... (I used a promo code to get $97 off :D so my total cost for 1 year with WAY more space than I'll ever use was $22 per YEAR!, which included my Domain registration fee!).... In iWeb all you have to do is Export the design to a folder, then use an FTP (I use Cyberduck, and a trial of Transmit, and dreamhost's webFTP from time to time) to load the design onto the server so the site can be seen online.

Also.. when you are using the FTP, be sure you have the correct server name. For example I do NOT use "ftp.<mydomainname>.com" (you would use that in the url field of your internet browser), in the FTP client I use probe.dreamhost.com

By the name "website tonight", I'll bet you have paid for hosting from godaddy... just get the correct server name to enter into the field in your FTP client... I'm fairly certain that you do not want to use ftp.<yourdomainname>.com in the FTP client as you mentioned you were trying.

EDIT:

Ok.. I looked it up, and it is as I figured... "Website Tonight" does include hosting:

Godaddy.com said:
WebSite Tonight makes it fun for ANYONE to create their own site -- without spending a fortune! It's so easy-to-use -- we've even included Hosting (with 99.9% uptime guarantee) and Email at no extra charge.

It is VERY expensive though, for the tiny amount of space you receive... the lowest cost plan is only 50mb (what can you do with 50mb???) and has a cost of $5 per MONTH.... using the promo code on dreamhost I get about 300 GB... that's GIGAbytes of space for $22 (that includes a $9.99 cost for the Domain registration) per YEAR, which equates to $1.84 per month (with the domain included), if you take out the cost of the domain, it's only $1.00 per month, for 250 GB!!! In case your wondering, I also have upto 3,000 email addresses I can use. PM if you need the promo code.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.