• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

need advice on video compression

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
leopard macbook pro 17" | ipod touch
I made a video for a project and it ended up being 1.5 gigs. I made it on my mac book pro, but i used Sony Vegas in XP. I used to be able to divx encode my videos with this program on my old PC to make them smaller. Now i just installed divx on the XP partition, yet it doesn't come up as an encoding option in Sony Vegas this time. Help would be greatly appreciated, i need the file to be smaller, i don't care whether it gets done with divx or something else. It's an .avi that needs it to be shrunk to 100 megs to be put on youtube. Thx! :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
I made a video for a project and it ended up being 1.5 gigs. I made it on my mac book pro, but i used Sony Vegas in XP. I used to be able to divx encode my videos with this program on my old PC to make them smaller. Now i just installed divx on the XP partition, yet it doesn't come up as an encoding option in Sony Vegas this time. Help would be greatly appreciated, i need the file to be smaller, i don't care whether it gets done with divx or something else. It's an .avi that needs it to be shrunk to 100 megs to be put on youtube. Thx! :black:

What's the current format?

Move the file to the mac partition, and try to use MPEGStreamclip (freeware) to convert the file to .avi (divx).

Also, try ffmpegX (not the same as ffmpeg), also freeware.

If neither of those work straight to .avi, you might try conver to MPEG first, then to .avi.

Best,

Brian

OP
cherry
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thx for the fast response, it actually is already in avi form. I just need to make it smaller. I'm gonna try that freeware and see if it works.

OP
cherry
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just downloaded mpegstreamclip and tried to render my video into something smaller but the program quits unexpectedly every time.

Now i need more suggestions, any ideas how to shrink this avi to 100 meg?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
AVI is only a container, it is not a video format. It's like MOV. You can have many formats in the container.

ffmpegx is great. Also good is installing divx. Then you can export from quicktime in divx format.

OP
cherry
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thx for the advice guys, i figured out the problem!

Someone in my class told me to stay away from avi, so i made it an wmv in the same program i had been using (sony vegas), worked like a charm. It's successfully on youtube now. :black:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.