Mouse not responding

Reaction score
I just set up my new Macbook to work with an external monitor. Everything is working fine except that the mouse, a plain one from Dell, isn't working. Do I have to get another mouse, I am already thinking about a wireless one for Macbook, or is there something else that I can do to get it to work. Thanks.

Reaction score
any external mouse should work - usb or bluetooth. how did you connect your mouse? dirctly or USB hub? did you look through the settings in your system preferences to see if there is something obvious?

OP
P
Reaction score
I should have given details. The keyboard and mouse are PS/2 and attached to the Macbook through an adapter (cheapo for a few dollars). The KVM switch is from Iogear.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450
ur macbooks got built in bluetooth....i wud suggest ditchin all those adapters and pick up a wireless logitech or mighty mouse.

OP
P
Reaction score
I was intending to get another mouse, but was wondering if I could work something out until then.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Probably have to use the trackpad for awhile until you get a bluetooth mouse.

I have a bluetooth Mighty Mouse, and really like it. However some people a) don't like them (yes, the ball occasionally gets a bit gummed up and won't scroll, but I have yet to fail to unstick it with a little buffing) b) they are expensive (but I was in a splurging mode; got a matching BT Apple keyboard too) c) they're really a one-button mouse with a sensor that detects whether your right finger clicked; if you're left finger is on the mouse, it'll register a right click. This does not bother me much though I've accidentally done a left click when I wanted to right, but for some people they just don't like it. Also the 'fourth button' is a little hard to 'squeeze', but I've gotten used to it. I've mapped that to Exposé - All Windows and like it muchly.

My MM goes with me wherever I take my Macbook but in a pinch (with the exception of gaming) the trackpad works wonderfully. My wife used to use a graphics tablet all the time but since getting her Macbook she's always using just the trackpad. Her wireless (non-bluetooth) mouse sits forlornly on the desk. Well, okay it's hooked up to the old Mac Mini for the entertainment center, but still.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.