Is .Mac worth it?

Reaction score
It's $99/year, to keep everything in sync and I believe access it from the .Mac web site. I'm not sure how I feel about publishing personal information to a server like that. It's too bad OS X doesn't come with a built in sync option.

With my current WinXP setup (which I'm phasing out soon), I have a desktop and a laptop, both XP Pro. The laptop is networked with the desktop, and certain folders are marked as "Make Available Offline," so before I hit the road with the laptop, I sync, and I'm ready to go. Any changes I make to files on the laptop can be sync'd when I get back home. Why the heck doesn't OS X have this built in????

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome!

All I really want to do is sync mail/contacts/calendar between a Mac Pro and a MBP. I bet I can do this by just copying data files via Terminal somehow.. hmm. Then I could just make it into a shell script to determine which machine has the latest version of a mailbox, and figure out which direction to copy the file.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro 2017 3GHz 10-core 128GB RAM MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.3GHz i5 16GB RAM
Get a mail-account that is IMAP-enabled and you will at least solve the problem with using e-mail on two machines.

OP
C
Reaction score
Get a mail-account that is IMAP-enabled and you will at least solve the problem with using e-mail on two machines.

Yeah I dunno, something about storing ALL my personal mail on a server kinda weirds me out. But I suppose using .Mac is no different.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.