just bought my mac and need some help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
soon to be: 20'' 2.16ghz 1gb ram 250 harddrive.
so i've got it home, hooked it up and connected it to the internet.i'm writing this on it now and love it. my problem, i bought a belkin wireless G+ router. the cd it works on mac and needs mac os x to install which i have. i insert the cd and it doesnot auto run.
on the installation guide it says: mac os x users: insert the c.d into your cd rom drive a drive will appear on your desktop called belkin easy install double click the drive to open it double click the program called 'easy install osx.dmg'
but when the c.d is inserted all i get is a cd icon and the file name underneath saying fsd7231_4_euro. i downloaded stuffit expander bacause i thought it might be the exe. files. but when i try and open it with that it says the files are not compressed and cannot be opened. help. i really want to take advantage of the wireless internet.

Reaction score
but when the c.d is inserted all i get is a cd icon and the file name underneath saying fsd7231_4_euro.
Which icon is this? The CD icon, or the icon of the dmg, or disk image?

When you double-click the CD icon, what happens?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33Ghz Core2Duo, 2Gb Ram, 120Gb HardDisk, X1600 256Mb & I LOVE Every Inch of her
quick qn, what are you trying to install on your mac and why?

u said u bought a wireless g router, i'm assuming you already have a faster than dial-up modem with an ethernet port. Connect the modem to the wireless router via the ethernet cable and power up the wireless router. U can configure the wireless router via FF or safari using the ip address provided in the user manual in the box.

i don't remember having to install anything anywhere to use a wireless router.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 14" M1 Pro, 16GB, 1TB, OS 12.6.9
so i've got it home, hooked it up and connected it to the internet.i'm writing this on it now and love it. my problem, i bought a belkin wireless G+ router. the cd it works on mac and needs mac os x to install which i have. i insert the cd and it doesnot auto run.
on the installation guide it says: mac os x users: insert the c.d into your cd rom drive a drive will appear on your desktop called belkin easy install double click the drive to open it double click the program called 'easy install osx.dmg'
but when the c.d is inserted all i get is a cd icon and the file name underneath saying fsd7231_4_euro. i downloaded stuffit expander bacause i thought it might be the exe. files. but when i try and open it with that it says the files are not compressed and cannot be opened. help. i really want to take advantage of the wireless internet.
FWIW, I have a Belkin Wireless G router and I didn't to set it up with the CD. If the router is already set up, you just need to connect to it via Airport (your Mac's wireless system). In the menu bar you'll see the little Airport logo...click on that and connect to your network. It will prompt you for the WEP key, assuming you have one set up, and you should be all set.

One thing I will mention though, is that I had a TON of problems with my Belkin Wireless G dropping the connection...*only* while the Mac was connected (the PC worked great). I tried a whole bunch of things to get it to keep a stable connection and was stumped. The router was set up on my PC, so on a whim, I did a factory re-set on it, and re-set it from the Mac. For some reason that did the trick and it's worked flawlessly ever since. However...now it will drop connection often when it's hooked up to the PC!

This doesn't bother me too much as I use the Mac 99.9% of the time. But I just figured i'd mention it in case you have any connection issues, or issues with it dropping connection.

Also...for reference, the URL for Belkin router setup is:
http://192.168.2.1/

Type that into your web broswer and you should be able to set up your wireless security and wireless setting for the router.

-Nick

OP
photojunkie
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
everything is secure. i have blocked a mac address that i don't have connected and am just wondering what other type of security i should set up, should i use the wep. wep2 128bit or 68bit wep and how will this effect the xbox360

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
I've never used any of the CDs that came with any of my routers, wireless or wired including the Actiontec router that Verizon provided with my new FIOS connection.

However, I did have a problem with one linksys (wired) router that was pretty old. It seemed that iChat would cause it to drop the connection. I replaced it with a newer rev linksys (wireless) and that problem seemed to go away, but then shortly thereafter Verizon retired it with their router.

Anyway, open up Safari and go to 192.168.1.1 and that should get you started with the configuration screens. Those CDs come with too many assumptions (mostly about Windows machines, even worse for Mac OS) to be truly useful. I was able to walk my dad though configuring their router over the phone so it's not that difficult.

Oh, and some routers claim you need to hook up a Cat 5 network cable directly to the router to configure it, but most recent rev routers I've encountered so far (and mostly linksys) have been configurable wirelessly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2008 Mac Pro - 500 GB HD - 6 GB Ram
everything is secure. i have blocked a mac address that i don't have connected and am just wondering what other type of security i should set up, should i use the wep. wep2 128bit or 68bit wep and how will this effect the xbox360

Per this link, the 360 adapter can handle WPA encryption. A WEP key can be cracked literally in minutes if a person has the proper software to do so.

If you're going to use WEP, you might as well as turn it off as it isn't secure. Any data that you truly want to secure should be used via SSL in your web browser or SSH for file transfers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
If you're going to use WEP, you might as well as turn it off as it isn't secure. Any data that you truly want to secure should be used via SSL in your web browser or SSH for file transfers.

WEP is useful if you're just trying to deter the average person from using your network, such as your neighbor. But you're right, if you need serious security, you'll have to move up to WPA.

OP
photojunkie
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks guys. i've sorted things out now.
i'm going to set up my wap later when i get chance. it is strange not having to use the cd for installation i'm so used to the p.c it may take me a few days to fully adjust

thanks for the help

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.