No reason to fear "trying out" apps, right?

Reaction score
On Windows, I hate just "trying out" software, because I know when I uninstall it, it's almost always leaving crap behind in the registry. I know OS X has no registry, so is there any reason to worry about trying out trial software like iBank, MoneyDance, Checkbook? Once I remove them from my system, they don't leave any traces behind, right?

On a related note, I know that some apps might leave preferences files behind. Any way to locate those and remove them? One thing I like about Ubuntu Linux is if you do "apt-get remove neatosoftware" it will uninstall it, but if you do "apt-get --purge remove neatosoftware," it removes all related config/prefs files as well, very cool. I'm tellin' ya, if OS X adopted Ubuntu's package management system, it would be the greatest OS ever.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
I'm fairly certain that Mac programs won't leave any remnants behind after an uninstall.

If you want to find the preference files, you can always use spotlight if you know the names of the files.

I know these aren't the best answers but I figured I'd tell you what I knew.

Reaction score
Removing prograns in OS X is very simple. Just click on the finder, file, find, and type in the name of the program. That will bring up a listing of everything related to that program. Simply trash the program and any preference files that appear.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

AppZapper looks neat, but I wonder how it works. If it's just looking for files that match the name of your application, system wide, I can do that myself via Terminal.

Verify the files that exist:
find / -name '*AppI'mTrashing*' | more

Then wipe them out:
find / -name '*AppI'mTrashing*' -exec rm -rf {} \;

And that doesn't cost $12.95. ;) But if AppZapper is doing more than that, then that's worth it. I just don't see how it can know what files are related to an app unless it monitors the application every time it runs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
I just know it works for me. I'm yet to delve the depths of the Terminal. You get the first 25 zapps free I think

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
If you want a free solution, check out AppDelete. Does the same thing AppZapper does, but for free :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
I tend to be wary of programs that have an installer package rather than just an icon, but I'm a lot happier trying things out on the Mac than I am under Windows. Windows programs often come back to haunt you...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.