root password

Reaction score
Is the root password (the one used for sudo) the same as the master password?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Yes... it should be the same.

OP
P
Reaction score
Master Reset

So then if someone has admin access to the box, and forgot the master password this should reset it no?

This is the easiest method if you are more of a CLI person.

1. Log in on the Admin account. (Your normal, every day user account should not have administrative privileges.).

2. Open up a command shell in the Terminal application with
Macintosh HD -> Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal.

At the command prompt type this command:

% sudo passwd root
Enter Password:
Changing password for root
New password:
Verify password:

The first password you are asked for is the already existing password for the Admin account, to prove that you are authorized to make changes on this system. After that, you enter the new root password (twice for verification). That is all, the "superuser" account is now enabled

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
That should do it... Do not type the "%" (that is just the prompt)...

You can also "reset" the password using the install discs.

You may want to back-up everything.. just in case.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
I believe "ride" is correct that you can reset your root password that way. But the root password is not the same as your admin password in OS X your root password is used for Superuser(sudo) so you don't have to type sudo everytime you use terminal but you do have the correct steps to reset the root password if thats what your attempting to do.

But unless you know what you are doing I would not use the superuser account in terminal and frankly its best to add a standard user account to avoid making system changes that are irreversible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Btw the install disks can be used to reset the admin password. But I don't believe they can be used to reset the root password. Besides I believe in your other post that you said you don't have the original disks...am I correct?

OP
P
Reaction score
OK thats what I was wondering if the root account is the master password as well. Now that I know its not the only choice to to run the install cd. Will it do anything to current accounts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't believe that changing the terminal root passwd will do any changes to any of your accounts. But I would back up everything. Playing around in terminal and with the superuser is messy business. You can really screw things up if you don't know what your doing. Be careful.

OP
P
Reaction score
I'm curious, under the root account there is a folder called etc in there is a file called master.passwd if this file was replaced with one from another account (if that was possible) wouldnt that rest the master password?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well...theres a master password for file vault. Besides the admin password. But anyways I don't think they would make it that easy to just replace the folder with one from another account. I would wait for some replys from other people because I'm a little lost on what exactly your trying to reset.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.