Master password

Reaction score
Aside from booting from the CD is there a way of resetting a master password if it is forgotten?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
Not that I am aware of I asked this question a couple of weeks ago on here. No one could tell me another way. I didn't have any valuable infomation and I could still logon cause auto-login was on. So I created a new admin account and then logged out of the original and logged into the new one and deleted the original admin account. If you can get into your login I would back up all the files you need and then just move them to a new admin account.

You create a new account by simply hitting the plus sign choose a new name and password (pw is optional). Then go to I think the securities account and click the checkbox that says "allow this user to make administrator options...(something like that)"

Remember to delete your original account you must be logged out of it completely don't just use fast-user switching to the new account.

Best of luck. If you figure out another way to reset the password please let us know. Btw if your running OS X 10.3 or higher the old terminal reset no longer works. Apple fixed that issue with a security update.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
Sry btw my options are assuming you still have access to the account through auto-login if you don't I'm not sure what you would do.

OP
P
Reaction score
yes I have admin rights to the machine but the master password was changed with out our knowledge. Is the root password the same as the master password? (the one used for sudo)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.