G4 Powerbook 9.1 Startup Disc Problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac mini 512 1.2 20" cinema
I am having great difficulty in getting my Powerbook to start from either the CD drive, connected USB CD drive or 250mg USB Zip Drive.

I have media that is recognized in the startup control panel, can select it, but restart always reverts to the system on the hard drive.

I have attempted holding down the "C" key as well the option key.

Holding the "C" key only stalls the process until I let it go. Holding the option key only gives me one choice "the hard drive".

I need to run the Norton Utilities speed disk and wipe info which can't be done when the active system resides on the disk being Nortonized.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

remltr

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
The Aluminum Powerbooks cannot boot into OS 9, or OS 9 CDs.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Which powerbook do you have?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac mini 512 1.2 20" cinema
I have a G4 Titanium running 9.1

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Are you trying to boot from the Norton disk and is the Norton disk bootable?

It has been a long time, so I am not sure on this. I know there was an updated startup extension in OS 9, but i don't know what revision of OS 9 it was for. That may help, but can not be sure.

I know you can run Speed Disk on a live system, it just will not work some of the files that are in use.

Are you just defraging your disk?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
If all else fails, you could create a copy of your working system folder on your external HD and then try booting from that.

Good Luck

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.