Password storage, net info

A

azrail

I have a question about how passwords are stored via, the net info database.

I have found that /private/var/db/shadow/hash/(generateduid) has a hash or something value. I am asking 1) is this the actual password hash, 2) if it is, how to i code it to that, (eg. md5->salt->crypt etcetc)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
The pass word is encrypted. I will have to look at what you are speaking to understand your questions. In all cases the users pass word is encrypted on all favors of unix.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Yup and Mac uses the best encryption now in file vault so you have to be very careful not to lose/forget the master password

OP
A

azrail

Ok those dident quite answer my question. I know unix (most flavours) very well. The question I have is 'how' is the password data stored. From when i go into system preferences -> users -> user(change the pass) to where that new password is stored. And how that new password is "encrypted" (not the word to use, encrypted means it can be decrypted, its one-way-hashed) using what hash functions.

I have tried to: md5 -s passwordhere > /private/var/db/shadow/hash/myusersgenerateduid

but that dident authenticate.

If anyone knows how to genereate, or how the once you get that password, how you can store it into the net info database.

--dave

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.