Burn .WMV to DVD...

M

Mainyehc

Hey!
A friend of mine asked me a few days ago, knowing that I have a Superdrive-equipped iMac, if I could burn a DVD for her... The only problem is that her files are in... yep, .WMV. They were made with M$ Windows Moviemaker...
Now, I'd like to know how to do the trick with my Mac... Should I convert the file to .mpg and then burn it using iDVD? Or should I use some .wmv compatible software? Which is the best option?
By the way, in either case, I have no idea of how I could convert WM files to QuickTime-compatible formats (same goes to WMA), and I only use graphics software, so I don't know any lightweight software for DVD burning apart from iDVD, or any software for converting those formats back and forth. If you know of them, please tell me...
Any help would be much appreciated, because my friend is in a haste... Thanks!!

OP
D

dtx3000

well, wmv is a pain for everything...but, if she can, have her save the file again in mpg. it is possible from windows movie maker. i've never found a program to convert wmv...to anything...
cheers
a-logic

OP
M

Mainyehc

dtx3000 said:
well, wmv is a pain for everything...but, if she can, have her save the file again in mpg. it is possible from windows movie maker. i've never found a program to convert wmv...to anything...
cheers
a-logic

Are you sure? Hope you are, if Moviemaker can do that, than it'll be great (the situation, not Moviemaker ;)) I'll tell her, then... thanks!

OP
D

dtx3000

just checked on the peecee. movie maker 2 will allow me to write in mpg, but i may have installed an encoder at some point in time...
there is a built-in option for .avi (DV-AVI in the drop-down menu), though, whose compatibility i don't know with imovie.
good luck!
dtx (a-logic)

OP
M

Mainyehc

dtx3000 said:
just checked on the peecee. movie maker 2 will allow me to write in mpg, but i may have installed an encoder at some point in time...
there is a built-in option for .avi (DV-AVI in the drop-down menu), though, whose compatibility i don't know with imovie.
good luck!
dtx (a-logic)
Oops... probably you're right, my friend says she can only save in DV-AVI... I tried importing a clip in .avi made with Adobe Premiere, or perhaps made in some other format with A.P. and then converted to .avi (can't remember), to iMovie, and it couldn't show pictures, just sound... Seems weird, but I don't know if it's the same as that DV-AVI thing... Could you please check that out for me, if DV-AVI is compatible w/ iMovie? (I don't happen to have more movies in .avi or a PeeCee w/ Moviemaker...)
I can, though, play that file with a nice little player called MPlayer OS X 2, that plays divx files just fine (I could never play divx .avi files using QT, don't know if it should be able to do that either, and I guess that that other movie made with A.P. was later converted to divx...)
Anyway... Is there some way to convert .avi to .mpg? Thanks!
P.S. - I'm really sorry for bothering you with all this crap, don't know if you noticed but I'm the "permissions guy" in the other thread :D

OP
D

dtx3000

;) no prob, why not help out if i can. i'll look around, try to find something for you be it on mac or pc. ill try to post it by tonite.
cheers
a-logic
oh yeah, mplayer is a mighty fine app btw

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1.33 GHz PowerBook w/SuperDrive, 60GB HDD, 1.25G RAM.
you can get software to do this, cant remember the name but i did in on a pc ages ago, it's an absolute ballbreaker, and the quality drops so much after conversion.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.